2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It's a small miracle, but it's May 29th and I managed to get all the network transplants put in today, as well as any seeds that needed to go in. I put some in yesterday, but it was only a start. I learned some valuable lessons this time around. It's a bad idea to harvest your pole saplings on the day you plant! Thank goodness I had helpers, because I would never have been able to cut them down, trim off tons of branches, drag them out of the bush and then dig holes and tamp down soil for all of them myself (just over 50 - I kept some of the better pole saplings from last year). Thank heavens for the Sawzall & chainsaw. I'm happy to report that nearly all of the network beans went in as transplants, anywhere from one to 4 plants. There were only 2 varieties that went in only as seed because my transplants failed - Coco de Belle Ile & Kyoto. Sylvano's only had one plant, but one is better than none. I put diatomeceous earth around each and every plant stem - just in case.

Just to be sure @Bluejay77 - Sycamore Mascara is a bush bean (not a pole) and Seda Kravicka and Ruzava Kravicka are both poles right?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Question for the soybean growers. As a last minute thought I put some Gaia soybeans in some starter pots. I wasn't sure what the germination would be like so I put 3 in each. I don't know why but I did only 3 pots. Everything wound up sprouting. So 9 plants in clusters of three. I'd like to plant each pot as is, but wonder if that would be too problematic? They are spaced about 1 1/2 inches apart in each pot. If I thin to one per pot, that only gives me 3 plants ans hardly seems worth the bother. Not sure what I should do tomorrow. My other soybean variety I planted at 1 foot intervals. Does anyone think spacing each pot 2 feet apart might make it possible?

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Question for the soybean growers. As a last minute thought I put some Gaia soybeans in some starter pots. I wasn't sure what the germination would be like so I put 3 in each. I don't know why but I did only 3 pots. Everything wound up sprouting. So 9 plants in clusters of three. I'd like to plant each pot as is, but wonder if that would be too problematic? They are spaced about 1 1/2 inches apart in each pot. If I thin to one per pot, that only gives me 3 plants ans hardly seems worth the bother. Not sure what I should do tomorrow. My other soybean variety I planted at 1 foot intervals. Does anyone think spacing each pot 2 feet apart might make it possible?
Leaving all of the plants in each pot will be OK. I've done that with several beans (including soybeans last year) and just gave the clusters extra spacing. My soybeans were even in smaller pots than yours, square 36/tray. Since I normally thin direct-seeded soybeans to the strongest plants about 2" apart, I planted those 2-3 plant clusters 6" apart. Those plants grew & yielded normally, but 8" spacing between pots might be better, to get the maximum yield per plant.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just to be sure @Bluejay77 - Sycamore Mascara is a bush bean (not a pole) and Seda Kravicka and Ruzava Kravicka are both poles right?
Yes Sycamore Mascara is a bush. I know that for sure because I grew it myself once. Seda Kravicka and Ruzava Kravicka are both pole beans. I have to change the Ruzava Kravika on my website as the entry is incorrect on the site.

The Ruzava Kravicka entry has been corrected on my website from Bush/dry to Pole/Dry.

Last edited:

BeanieQueen

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
@meadow was that you that told me that someone in Seed Savers Exchange is sharing a bean called Bullet Bean. I was suspecting that it might be the Walcherse Bruine Kogel. I wrote to them and got a response today and this is what they said. They sent me a photo and I would bet that it is probably the Walcherse Burine Kogel.

Hi, Russ,
I obtained my Dutch Bullet seed in 2012 from Lonesome Whistle Farm (Junction City, OR,lonesome-whistle.com), a small grower of organic grains and seeds for CSAs, farmer's markets. etc. I do not know their source. Lonesome Whistle Farm is still in operation but, to my knowledge, they have not grown Dutch Bullets for sale in a number of years. A photo of seed from my 2020 lot is attached. 2020 was a very hot and dry growing year here, and the seed is a bit smaller than other years. I still have seed available if you'd like a sample. Good luck with your search.
Karen Yoerger
OR KL YO

View attachment 49175
They are pretty!! Is this bush or pole?

BeanieQueen

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I do not know this variety (are they big?) but I have already been growing soybean for a soybean project. The manual said to sow them 2 to 2.5 inch apart in rows with a distance between the rows of apprx. 1.5 feet.
So, if you ask me, these 1.5 inch apart should not be a true problem. If they were mine I would leave them as they are, unless they fall apart anyhow when taking out of the little pots.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Leaving all of the plants in each pot will be OK. I've done that with several beans (including soybeans last year) and just gave the clusters extra spacing. My soybeans were even in smaller pots than yours, square 36/tray. Since I normally thin direct-seeded soybeans to the strongest plants about 2" apart, I planted those 2-3 plant clusters 6" apart. Those plants grew & yielded normally, but 8" spacing between pots might be better, to get the maximum yield per plant.
Thank you so much @Zeedman , so 2 feet between the pots would not be necessary? About a foot would be sufficient? I planted all the single marbled soybean plants (100% germination!) 12 inches apart.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I had hoped when I read your post @flowerbug, that where there is one groundhog there will be more, that my situation would prove to be an exception. Sigh. Alas, you were indeed right. I saw #2 this afternoon, probably looking for it's friend, and in my garden. Well, DH and I can't face another episode as the last one. We are both still feeling the awfulness of that last experience. So, I went out and bought a live trap. Apparently cantaloupe is the ideal lure. Set it this afternoon. Between hardware cloth for the voles, the new trap, and the diatomeceous powder I've spent over $160 on preventative measures against bugs and critters. Got my fingers crossed that it all works.

Aside from my kales and cabbages the groundhogs haven't seemed to have bothered anything. I hope one month old bean plants are of no interest.🤞 I recall @Zeedman mentioning how attractive soybeans in particular are to animals of every kind. I really hope the plants can make it.

Latest posts