2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

capsicumguy

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
@heirloomgal
I write Lillooet in my notebook. Is it native bean? The name indicates it.
I'm curious too. Lillooet is a town near where I live; it's definitely an indigenous name but the bean may simply have been kept by townsfolk post-colonisation. Either way, it'd be well-adapted to where I live. Also curious about a red bean called Shuswap (another indigenous place name close to me); has anyone grown it?

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Bean delivery day, from Sand Hill Preservation Center!

Is anyone familiar with the background for Good Mother Stallard bean?

I grew GMS a few years ago from Baker Creek seed, whose description says "Originally introduced by our friend Glenn Drowns." I ordered seed directly from Glenn, which was delivered today.

The Seed Savers Exchange description reads, "One of the 1,186 beans given to SSE in 1981 by bean collector John Withee of Massachusetts. Named for Carrie Belle Stallard of Wise County, Virginia. This variety dates to at least the 1930s." I'm still waiting for this to be restocked on their site.

Glenn is awfully busy right now, else I'd ask him directly. I'm hoping someone here may know the answer. Did John Withee get his seed from Glenn Drowns? (or maybe my guess is completely off-base; any information anyone has would be welcome!)

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Bean delivery day, from Sand Hill Preservation Center!

Is anyone familiar with the background for Good Mother Stallard bean?

I grew GMS a few years ago from Baker Creek seed, whose description says "Originally introduced by our friend Glenn Drowns." I ordered seed directly from Glenn, which was delivered today.

The Seed Savers Exchange description reads, "One of the 1,186 beans given to SSE in 1981 by bean collector John Withee of Massachusetts. Named for Carrie Belle Stallard of Wise County, Virginia. This variety dates to at least the 1930s." I'm still waiting for this to be restocked on their site.

Glenn is awfully busy right now, else I'd ask him directly. I'm hoping someone here may know the answer. Did John Withee get his seed from Glenn Drowns? (or maybe my guess is completely off-base; any information anyone has would be welcome!)
I recently read the story behind this bean @meadow. I think John Withee got it from Carrie Belle Stallard, as she lived in and around the region that he was collecting beans from. I believe it was he who donated it to SSE. Perhaps this is what put that bean into wider circulation?

Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I don't think so
@heirloomgal
I write Lillooet in my notebook. Is it native bean? The name indicates it.
I don't think so @Artorius given that it is for eating as a fresh green bean. It also is a true bush bean with no runners which also suggests it isn't. The only thing I know for sure about this bean is that it was the heirloom of a family, I'm guessing who probably who came from the area of Cayoosh Flat, which apparently was renamed Lilloet at some point.

I was disappointed in the look of those Worcester beans I had told you about, I thought they'd be a prettier pale beige, but they just look really boring! Kind of like Arikara, no real colour or character to speak of.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I think 20 seeds would be enough. I know what you mean about SSE members not listing varieties you send them. I find that with my listing too. It's especially important if you donate a variety to SSE and there is less record of a variety being stewarded. The less listings in the yearbook the less of a record a variety has of bening grown. Those varieties could be in danger of being deaccessioned. My Red Turtle bean which I stablized and was donated to SSE in the early 1980's and which over the years was listed in SSE yearbooks by 9 other members was deaccessioned by SSE. I did get all the seed stocks of the bean they had.
What does 'deaccensioned' mean?

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
What does 'deaccensioned' mean?
It means that variety has been removed from the collection, and SSE will no longer maintain it. If possible, SSE returns all stock of the abandoned variety to the original source. So unless someone else takes on stewardship, the variety will fade into extinction. :( SSE's accessions policy has been tightening, to the point where it is difficult for them to accept anything new, regardless of usefulness or rarity. I hope I can garden long enough to see SSE adopt some of the varieties for which I am the original source.

Boilergardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
It means that variety has been removed from the collection, and SSE will no longer maintain it. If possible, SSE returns all stock of the abandoned variety to the original source. So unless someone else takes on stewardship, the variety will fade into extinction. :( SSE's accessions policy has been tightening, to the point where it is difficult for them to accept anything new, regardless of usefulness or rarity. I hope I can garden long enough to see SSE adopt some of the varieties for which I am the original source.
SSE must be having some employment problems. I ordered 1 heirloom tomato from their catalog on jan 17 and it hasnt shipped yet. I also want to purchase a print edition of the 2022 exchange book/catalog of offerings, the page says check back mid January still. In the meantime i have ordered and recieved seed from 3 other seed companies. I just like reading through the booklet and marking the items of interest vs their webpage.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you @meadow @Zeedman :)

SSE is quite different it seems than SoDC. I didn't know that you send your things to them. It's not that you list with them, or just list with them I guess, you actually send them your seeds, right?

If so, wow, that is an ambitious organisation. I can't imagine how hard that would be to maintain any variety that gets donated. That would be A LOT of seeds to grow. And then to think of all the overlap.

Latest posts