2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just a thought @flowerbug, but I've had tremendously good luck with putting plants in an area that gets shade for part of the day when it's super hot. Even for crops like beans, tomatoes & peppers where you wouldn't think that would work. Last year I had Nicaraguan Black Turtle in a spot that was shady for part of the day, and they did just as well as the other black beans (Mitla and Hopi) that were in full sun all day. The only beans that I find a bit more picky about that are pole beans. They seem to be a bit more needy for sunlight hours, but I did grow Chester pole bean last year in a spot that was a bit shady and still got quite a good crop.

i'm mostly bringing them inside for just the really hot days because the Fort Portal Jade plants are the ones that seem to not like the extreme heat we get. the rest of the time i'll leave them outside. we have three nice days in the forecast so they're going back outside now for full sunshine all day and i'll put them back in the garage at night (mainly because i don't want the raccoons to mess with them).

they're doing ok so far, i just want them to actually get flowers and pods on them and actual finished beans in pods that are develoiped. i may see flowers soon as they're about a foot tall. if i can do some hand pollination i'm going to try that too. :)

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
you're not telling us if those specific ones germinate or not.
Two did not germinate as of this morning, so I've tossed them rather than continue giving them a chance (coincidentally, it was the two darkest of the remaining seed). I think @Bluejay77's hypothesis about bacterial action may be correct.

In the past, I've separated the darkened seed from the others and most often they do not germinate. Some have though. I wish now that I'd kept a record of such things.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
We got this guy in December and he would live on that table, overlooking the garden if we let him. We've even got him chasing robins away from the strawberries :-D

View attachment 49581
American Foxhound? DH and I are wondering what breed he is, harrier or foxhound? Or maybe he is a beagle! My guess is American Foxhound. He's gorgeous, btw. 🥰🐾

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
American Foxhound? DH and I are wondering what breed he is, harrier or foxhound? Or maybe he is a beagle! My guess is American Foxhound. He's gorgeous, btw. 🥰🐾
He's a rescue from down south, where he'd been living in the woods, so we're not sure. He's beagle sized but has the markings and build of a Walker so probably some sort of cross? Maybe just a runt? We call him a beagle whenever we have to list a breed on paperwork. I should really do a DNA test because people ask this all the time.

He's usually very quiet, but there was a rabbit in the back yard a couple of days ago and it couldn't figure out how to vacate the premises quickly so they were running all over the place, and he was making the same call that my friends' foxhounds make when they're out doing their fox hunts (horse events - no actual foxes). The rabbit made it out fine but hasn't come back.

Also, when he growls (usually at his reflection) or howls because he thinks we're leaving him alone, I swear there's a hundred pounds of Basset hound mixed in somewhere.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That's what I get for bragging about being in the 60's! 🌧️ Poor Ga Ga Hut is perfectly ready for transplanting, except for the hardening off part. Guess he'll have to hold out a little bit longer.

Yesterday was strange because we had sun for a little while, and then there was this big black cloud (basically over our house, haha) but blue sky was visible too... just no sun shining for us. Makes me think of that Seinfeld episode with the soup guy, "No sun for you!!" 😅

Triffid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
While looking up a Slovenian wax bean I received this past winter, I came across this webpage of bean photos 😍https://www.skoberne.si/zanimivo/fizol/

All of the entries with 'rumeno stročje' in the description have yellow pods. Reminded me of a short discussion in last year's network thread regarding wax beans with unusual patterns on the seed.
No. 6 is probably the same as the 'Maslenk Rumen Visok II' seeds I have here. I think the name got fudged somewhere along the seed-sharing chain. Could be 'Ptujski Maslenec'; maslenec roughly translates to buttermilk. Lovely bean nevertheless; melts in the mouth.
No. 9 looks like nothing I've ever seen before, really interesting pattern.
No. 12 appears identical to 'Oude Sloveense Boterboon'.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
While looking up a Slovenian wax bean I received this past winter, I came across this webpage of bean photos
I suppose Justika is someone in Slovenia who's mother has the collection of beans shown in those Wow ! 81 photos. Justika probably took all the photos of the beans I would imagine. Have you acquired any of these varieties from the website you found? There doesn't seem to be any contact information though. A number of beans in those photos remind me of other beans I have or have seen. Thank you for sharing that with us.

Here below is a translation of the text at the top of the website when you click on the link given by Triffid

Justika's mother's bean collection

In front of you is a collection of beans in the making, so I apologize for any mistakes. I have given names that are known to me, although the same type of bean is named differently in different provinces. Where there are two questions, I do not know the name and I try to complete it as soon as I learn something new. New bean varieties will also appear in the collection.

I will be grateful to you for any contribution, whether as far as missing bean names or other things are concerned.

Last edited:

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
He's a rescue from down south, where he'd been living in the woods, so we're not sure. He's beagle sized but has the markings and build of a Walker so probably some sort of cross? Maybe just a runt? We call him a beagle whenever we have to list a breed on paperwork. I should really do a DNA test because people ask this all the time.

He's usually very quiet, but there was a rabbit in the back yard a couple of days ago and it couldn't figure out how to vacate the premises quickly so they were running all over the place, and he was making the same call that my friends' foxhounds make when they're out doing their fox hunts (horse events - no actual foxes). The rabbit made it out fine but hasn't come back.

Also, when he growls (usually at his reflection) or howls because he thinks we're leaving him alone, I swear there's a hundred pounds of Basset hound mixed in somewhere.
Taking a second look at his photo @jbosmith I'm shocked that he is in a reclining position while appearing to not be tied!? I have a beagle and this is not possible with him! Anything hound-ish seems to have marathon sprinter/ freedom warrior built in - you're lucky!

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My first hoeing this year. Ahhhhhh.......so satisfying. 😌
20220615_203543_resized.jpg
20220615_202454_resized.jpg

I find near divine satisfaction in eliminating weeds. 💫

Latest posts