2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Triffid

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Have you acquired any of these varieties from the website you found? There doesn't seem to be any contact information though.
Nothing from this site. I only stumbled across it the other day. But if you go to the homepage there is an email link to Martin Škoberne, the admin.
Aside from Oude Sloveense Boterboon, which were sent to me by Guy Dirix, the few Slovenian beans I do have were shared by a dear seed-saving friend who acquired them from Bohnen Atlas - the black-seeded Mazlenk Rumen Visok II and Mazlenk Visok Dolgi Stroki, which has chestnut brown seeds. Incidentally, these three are all flat wax beans, and their original native names seem to have been lost along the way (?) The current titles are rather generic: 'old Slovenian butterbean'; 'Tall butter long pod'; 'Tall yellow butter II'...

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Taking a second look at his photo @jbosmith I'm shocked that he is in a reclining position while appearing to not be tied!? I have a beagle and this is not possible with him! Anything hound-ish seems to have marathon sprinter/ freedom warrior built in - you're lucky!
He's in a fenced in yard! We spent a lot of time beagleproofing it. He does run hard, especially on walks with a long lead, but he loooves a good sunny spot. His salvation all winter was the sun coming through our south facing windows, and he would sleep in those spots all morning, moving every half hour or so to keep up with them. When it's really hot out he'll move into the sun for a while, then head for shade to cool off, but he always goes back to the sun. We gave him this old chair pad as a bed on that table and he thinks he's in heaven.

ETA: Another nice benefit of him wanting to be out there all the time - it turns out strawberries do more than grow and spread everywhere! I planted strawberries in 2013ish, and they've just kinda slowly moved around in a circle around the edge of my garden, and we get maybe two a year. This year we can't keep up because he's been keeping the robins away!

I promise I'll go back to bean pictures soon.

2022-06-11 11.57.34.jpg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
He's in a fenced in yard! We spent a lot of time beagleproofing it. He does run hard, especially on walks with a long lead, but he loooves a good sunny spot. His salvation all winter was the sun coming through our south facing windows, and he would sleep in those spots all morning, moving every half hour or so to keep up with them. When it's really hot out he'll move into the sun for a while, then head for shade to cool off, but he always goes back to the sun. We gave him this old chair pad as a bed on that table and he thinks he's in heaven.

ETA: Another nice benefit of him wanting to be out there all the time - it turns out strawberries do more than grow and spread everywhere! I planted strawberries in 2013ish, and they've just kinda slowly moved around in a circle around the edge of my garden, and we get maybe two a year. This year we can't keep up because he's been keeping the robins away!

I promise I'll go back to bean pictures soon.

View attachment 49605
He is gorgeous. I love the houndy breeds. Funny, my dog is a beagle and he is a sun hunter too. Sometimes I marvel at how he likes to bake in the sun and follow sun spots on the floor. Maybe it's a hound thing? Does he make 'nests' at night before going to sleep? If he does, that's definitely a beagle thing.

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nothing from this site. I only stumbled across it the other day. But if you go to the homepage there is an email link to Martin Škoberne, the admin.
How do you get to the homepage to view Martin's email link?

Photo #54 looks a lot like what I have for Slovenia III

Last edited:

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
He is gorgeous. I love the houndy breeds. Funny, my dog is a beagle and he is a sun hunter too. Sometimes I marvel at how he likes to bake in the sun and follow sun spots on the floor. Maybe it's a hound thing? Does he make 'nests' at night before going to sleep? If he does, that's definitely a beagle thing.
Yes! When my partner and I are on different schedules we sleep in separate beds so that we don't drive each other nuts, and if he ends up with me I have to put his bed on mine so that he won't make a nest out of my blankets!

There's also a place in our back yard where we once had a stump removed and there's a slight recess where the soil settled. He looooves curling up in that spot in the sun!

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Your beans look amazing, as does your soil! Is that your native soil or compost on top?

I too find weed killing time quite addicting.
It is a mix of things; we've had soil from the bush trucked in, amended with manure, added lots of straw over the years, some peat here and there and used organic methods intended to keep the tilth and friability up . I do think that all the legumes I've grown over the years have added a great deal. There is a lot of gray clay in the soil in the area I'm in.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
While looking up a Slovenian wax bean I received this past winter, I came across this webpage of bean photos 😍https://www.skoberne.si/zanimivo/fizol/
No. 9 looks like nothing I've ever seen before, really interesting pattern.

i had a lot of white beans with various markings on them from single tiny spots, two spots, and then various spottings and patterns. one bean that caught my eye was one i've called Pheasant and then Spotted Pheasant came about. Two Spots i also still have in my collection because it is interesting to me too - it was slated to be planted this year but it looks like it will have to wait until next season as it just didn't make the cut.

i have about 1lb of these white bean culls from my collection that i was planning on eating sometime but if you'd like me to pull some of these out and send them to you this winter i'd be able to do that? is it hard to get beans to the UK now? @Artorius has Spotted Pheasant so i'm hoping his grow out this season of that one will go well :) but i'm not sure he planted them.