2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
It was a glorious day today, sunny and breezy and not too hot! Got to take some pics today since the weather was so wonderful, it almost felt celebratory. This post is also a little plug for the wonder of transplants!
Here is one of the 'I don't know how to climb beans'... a condition which I will now remedy!
20220628_154505_resized.jpg

Another one...
20220628_161903_resized.jpg

Progress picture. It always seems to me the beans are snailing along, but when I take photos I can actually see a measurable difference. Nearly all of these are transplants. None of the beans that went in as seeds are climbing yet.

20220628_162144_resized.jpg

20220628_154300_resized.jpg

This is all that sprouted for 'network bean 'Kyoto', none of the transplants took so all these were put in as seeds. Nearly all the white seeded beans I had some troubles with - Lazy Wife & Muffet too, though I still got some to grow. It is actually remarkable how different the growth is from the direct seeded beans to the transplants, or maybe it's just this year. Thankfully, only Coco de Belle Ile and this one went in as seeds.
20220628_154600_resized.jpg

Tried to get a shot of all the different sections of poles.
20220628_153617_resized.jpg

20220628_154203_resized.jpg

Irish Connors network beans, almost 6 feet. All transplants!
20220628_155424_resized.jpg

Network bean Ruzava Kravicka, this is a really robust grower.
20220628_154330_resized.jpg

Here's another photo plug for transplants, the Karachaganak (spelling?) semi-runner transplants are the tall plants on the left and all those on the right went in as seeds. Not quite as dramatic a difference as the poles, but still notable. I LOVE transplants! And for the network beans they help to give me peace of mind that I'll succeed in returning seed.
20220628_162526_resized.jpg

Last edited:

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm becoming concerned about our lack of sunshine. We had a few days with sun and hot temperatures and today there was not even a hint of sun. Thank goodness I was late getting in the bush beans.

Network beans Swedish Brown and Marfax are looking good. Dutch Bullet got a very late start but has emerged well. Fingers crossed for some sunshine to help them grow big and strong!

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Day before yesterday got all the weed barrier fabric down for the large Pole bean plot and the two large raised beds where the bush beans are growing again this year behind my deer fence. @heirloomgal you almost can't see my pole beans compared to yours. Your beans are just marvelous looking. I had to replant all the pole beans and I hope there is enough season here left to mature a good seed crop of them.

Pole Beans Plot With Weed Barrier Fabric Installed

Pole Beans June 27, 2022 #2.jpgPole Beans June 27, 2022 #1.jpg

Bush Beans @ Bean Acres Behind Deer Fence With Weed Fabric

Weed Barrier Fabric 6-27-2022 #2.jpgWeed Barrier Fabric 6-27-2022.jpg

Jack Holloway

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I'm becoming concerned about our lack of sunshine. We had a few days with sun and hot temperatures and today there was not even a hint of sun. Thank goodness I was late getting in the bush beans.

Network beans Swedish Brown and Marfax are looking good. Dutch Bullet got a very late start but has emerged well. Fingers crossed for some sunshine to help them grow big and strong!
I hear you. This has been an interesting winter/spring for us in the PNW (not the PNW in Australia!).

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
It was a glorious day today, sunny and breezy and not too hot! Got to take some pics today since the weather was so wonderful, it almost felt celebratory. This post is also a little plug for the wonder of transplants!
Here is one of the 'I don't know how to climb beans'... a condition which I will now remedy!
20220628_154505_resized.jpg
Eeeewww... birch bark! I'm so not touching that!

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I hear you. This has been an interesting winter/spring for us in the PNW (not the PNW in Australia!).

in terms of rains it has been almost reverse compared to last season. not as consistently hot but still hot enough some days. plenty of sunshine - this has been a pretty sunny month.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Day before yesterday got all the weed barrier fabric down for the large Pole bean plot and the two large raised beds where the bush beans are growing again this year behind my deer fence. @heirloomgal you almost can't see my pole beans compared to yours. Your beans are just marvelous looking. I had to replant all the pole beans and I hope there is enough season here left to mature a good seed crop of them.
@Bluejay77 , it appears we are both in the same boat, since I got started late. I'm only now getting my bean transplants in, and the direct-seeded soybeans are just beginning to come up. It will be a race with the frost this year to get any dry seed, chances are that I will need to apply some extra TLC to protect plants with pods close to maturity.

A good soaking rain storm has put a halt to transplanting for a couple days. That's not really a bad thing, since it will give the late sprouting "Bird Egg #3", "Uzice", and adzuki beans time to size up.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
This year may be the worst I've seen; certainly the worst during a growing season. We're up against the base of a large mountain, and so get even more cloud cover than is normal for our region.

Latest posts