2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've noticed that the Lazy Wife's Pole Bean is doing remarkably well, considering that it was started in the same manner and timing as the other green beans. The difference is that it is adjacent to a cement walkway (in a flower bed in front of the house being used as an isolation bed). I suspect the cement is providing reflected heat and light.

I have a very light colored house. It's vinyl siding and when the house was built I think the builder called the color almond. I have a 40 foot long flowerbed on the south side of the house where I've been growing pole beans for the last 10 years. It does seem that the beans growing there mature a bit sooner than ones growing out it open.

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the last planted bean garden is up and sprouting. deer have found some of the sprouts towards the back, but now that i have one of the access runs blocked they are trapped in that area and i'm hoping they won't like it.

we cut hair the other day so i took that out and spread it around and i've been "marking" my territory hoping to discourage the deer long enough that i can get the plants past the first vulnerable stages.

the North Garden plants that have been chewed on some are recovering, but i don't know how many will actually be able to get pods or dry beans. i'm getting learn about this as it happens. :)

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
All vegetables that were direct seeded are up (mostly legumes). All have good germination except for one soybean, "Karikachi 3" - which still has enough plants emerging for a fair seed crop. All remaining transplants are ready to go. The germination rate of 2015 & 2016 bean seed started in pots was nearly 100%. Those transplants will go in as soon as the soil dries out from last night's rains.

I examined the 2 rescue soybeans ("Bei 77-6177" and "Sapporo Midori") last night. Mold was starting to spread, but I picked out 16 of each that were sprouting. Those were transferred to pots of sterile medium, in hope of getting even a plant or two. Anything which emerges will be transferred to large pots. Those pots will be rolled inside if necessary to allow seed to mature.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Saw the strangest thing today. One of the network Muffet beans I planted just sprouted. I planted them end of May, beginning of June. I have never seen a bean survive that long in the ground without sprouting. Weird.

sometimes i get beans coming up from previous season's plantings or burials of garden debris.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Saw the strangest thing today. One of the network Muffet beans I planted just sprouted. I planted them end of May, beginning of June. I have never seen a bean survive that long in the ground without sprouting. Weird.
Oddly enough, I've almost never had a bean volunteer from the previous year. Cowpeas have, and sometimes dense clusters of soybeans... apparently when I tilled a vole's pantry.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I wouldn't have believed beans could wait that long to sprout! It's with the other Muffet beans I planted a month ago (that did sprout), and so has been watered on several times? I had some bean volunteers in late fall last year, from seeds that fell probably a few weeks or less before; that seems less surprising. This one held out, like a morning glory seed or a seed with a seed coat that needs to be chipped before planting.

Well, I guess I learned something new!

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
2022-07-02 12.04.26.jpg

This is the same garden I posted pics of the other day with the 60' row of pinto beans. I took this one from a different angle to be more honest about the wall o weeds encroaching from all sides. Plus the garlic looks pretty cool right now ;-)

2022-07-02 13.43.19.jpg

These are at the other end of that garden. I believe these are MN-150 bush cowpeas. This is one of my zone 3 gardens I'm not sure what their chances are but they're doing ok so far.

2022-07-02 13.44.58.jpg

Same garden - Gorah peas!

1656851132056.png

Not the best lighting, but from left to right - Kabouli black chickpeas, Yancheng bush yardlongs, some tomatoes I needed seed from, the limas from @flowerbug that may or may not be Fordhook, Ezonishiki soy, MN-13 cow peas, and Amplissimo Viktoria Ukrainskaya pea. The section in the back is mostly out of commission this year to get ahead of the perennial weeds, but it seemed like a good reason to grow pumpkins too.

@Zeedman gets a lot of credit for all of the soy, cowpea, and yardlong varieties in these gardens.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Not sure if it helps anyone, but two people on Etsy are offering a Bulgarian runner bean grex that might have something interesting in it. Who knows, with there only being about 1,000 miles between Bulgaria and Armenia ( a very long distance for one person, but not so long for a trade route.) The mix could contain the Ijevan #1 and #2 runners Joe Simcox had once, or their close relatives.

https://www.etsy.com/listing/257968...723&click_sum=eea2f62f&ref=user_profile&frs=1

https://www.etsy.com/listing/115647...156471814&click_sum=1cafa801&ref=user_profile

Latest posts