2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

BeanieQueen

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Ok that is great I will be on the lookout for your package. That is so neat you are listing in SODC 😊. The more peope that steward the varieties the better for them.
Same here, @Bluejay77.
I am also still busy with drying the last seeds; I had to cut off the whole wines and let them dry slowly indoors. i think they will be ready for shipping next week. I will let you know, when the parcel is on its way.

BeanieQueen

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Speaking about pole wax beans... this year I grew "Zlatak". In 2009 I obtained it from SSE's Heritage Farm, who had obtained it from an SSE member in Germany. Not a very long-podded bean, but stringless in all stages. The mature beans are very flavorful in shell stage (my preferred way to use them) but it would probably make a good "full bean", eaten pod & all when the seeds are swollen. This was one of DW's favorite shellies, we had fond memories of eating them on the way to a Monticello seed swap one year.
View attachment 53561 View attachment 53562

View attachment 53564 View attachment 53565
"Zlatak"

It was originally planned for the rural garden, but was moved to my "TLC" pots & bumped another variety when the rural garden was canceled. Grown in pots, only !0 ounces of seed from 8 plants; but it yielded 40 ounces from 12 plants when last grown in-ground in 2016.
They look gorgious!
I know of a very similar bean that is called 'Goldstück', and probably also 'Jeruzalemska'.
Do you happen to know if these are different varieties?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Not all that bad, dear @heirloomgal ! You hit it several times.

Mooreskönigin = correct!
Halbohne Reiser: syllable Hal I don't know (yet), bean is clear, and Reiser is another word (more used in Bavaria and Austria) for twig, because of their height they need/appreciate some support by twigs.
Wachtelbohne = correct!
Quedlinburger Speck(bohne) = I am very much for renaming it into "A Bacon Sandwich from Quedlinburg"! Yes, Speck means bacon, because they are soooooo delicious being fried in a pan along with bacon. Quedlinburg is an old, charming little town in eastern Germany, first mentioned in the records in 922.
Blaue Meerbarbe = correct Blue Sea-barb (Barbe is translated as barb - so: very similar to mullet) Your questions do also improve my English now!
Kartoffelbohne = correct!
Meuch: no translation. Some (rare) family name.
Schäfermädle = correct! (Mädle is a regional word e.g. in Swabia and Alemannia (South Western region of Germany) for girlie/lass(ie)
:)
Thanks so much @BeanieQueen ! :hugs
I very much appreciate your help!

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Network beans are all packaged up @Bluejay77 , the extras all labeled and bagged up too (in a different box). This is going to be a package all right! Feels like it all weighs 10 pounds! 😂 Will mail out tomorrow after I buy more sturdy shipping boxes for everything than what I have now. Your address and the USDA label go outside the box right?
When you open the Fiesta beans will you take a picture of them? 👀I'm so curious what they look like! If they really do look like Candy, as the online photo showed, that would be wild. Two totally different beans that look exactly the same. And Candy is a unique bean, I've never seen another like it.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your address and the USDA label go outside the box right?
My address label doesn't need to be on the outside of the package at all. The Linden, New Jersey address label should be placed where you are shipping too (I should have sent you a label with the Linden station address on it). They will identify me from the sheet you have placed inside which shows my account and the countries I import beans from. The Linden station will make up an address label for me when they forward your package. Yes the Green/Yellow label goes on the outside of the package as well.

Oh Yes when the Fiesta bean arrives I will photo that one for sure. I'll post both Fiesta and Candy taken with the same camera and under the same lighting.

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I know there are a couple beans named Dalmatian; @Bluejay77 is this your own named variety (ABCW) or the synonym of Jacob's Cattle?
I don't think I ever answered this question earlier in the year. Dalmation is a hardly used synonym for Jacob's Cattle. I never seen it used here by anyone in the U.S. So I used the spelling with an ian in the name for one of my original beans from the early 1980's.

BeanieQueen

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
I don't think I ever answered this question earlier in the year. Dalmation is a hardly used synonym for Jacob's Cattle. I never seen it used here by anyone in the U.S. So I used the spelling with an ian in the name for one of my original beans from the early 1980's.
Yes, I think, the spelling with -ian should be correct. The colour and pattern refers to the dog race Dalmatian (short white fur and a lot of black dots/speckles).

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blue Jay's 2022 Bean Show - Day 19

Mestia Svaneti - Pole Dry- 2022

Network bean. This is one of the many beans collected overseas by Joseph Simcox. I acquired it from Karen Golden in Highland, Michigan two years ago. Seeds similar to Lilaschecke but I think this one is a green podded bean. I didn't really observe pole bean pods very well this summer but I do believe it's green podded.

Mestia Svaneti-FB.jpg
Mestia Svaneti - Pole Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Midnight Blue - Semi Runner Dry- 2022

This is another of the Robert Lobitz beans. It's been a very requested bean from people who run into my website. I have not grown a real good crop of it yet so I keep growing it every year to keep up with requests.

Midnight Blue-FB.jpg
Midnight Blue - Semi Runner Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Minnesota Beauty - Bush Dry- 2022

This is one of the Robert Lobitz legacy beans that I have stablized. The bean stablized rather quickly. It's been a very requested bean off my website. Productive with large plants. It's maturity time is a little later than most of the bush varieties I grow. I listed it in the Seed Savers Exchange yearbook for 2023 for the first time.

Minnesota Beauty-FB.jpg
Minnesota Beauty - Bush Dry

Latest posts