2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wow, as I was typing the post above, I thought I felt a ladybug on the back of my neck (they often get inside this time of year). Brushed it off... and it was a wasp! :ep Fortunately I wasn't stung - but I might be "scent marked". There was a nest in the foundation this summer just on the other side of the wall... if they have found a way in, I may need to move my work station.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I believe it likely that this is the same bean carried by SSE as "Olteanu's Romanian Yellow", which I have grown. It was originally listed erroneously by SSE as a runner bean, until I informed them that it was in reality a P. vulgaris pole wax bean. Both have glossy partially-purple seeds, I can see how they could be mistaken for small-seeded runner beans.

i did give a sample of those to @Bluejay77 several years ago. not sure if he's ever attempted to grow those, but they were visually quite different (not much white in them) that i recall... i never grew them here.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Wow! Had some Gaucho beans with dinner last night and they are the best tasting beans we've ever had. These are a keeper!

Our daughter picked these beans up at a Fill Your Pantry event from the same farm that produces winter squash seed for Carol Deppe. They are Carol's "Golden Gaucho" strain, and here is the description from her 2019 seed catalog:
GOLDEN GAUCHO bush dry bean (Phaseolus vulgaris) 85 days. Sister* to White Candle Gaucho. Very early productive bush bean for drying. Rich distinctive flavor. Gaucho beans made a good crop on Vancouver Island B.C. Canada in the unusually cold (even for Vancouver) summer of 2011. Gaucho is an heirloom dry bean from Argentina that came to me from the old Abundant Life Seed Foundation. It had some crosses to green beans; I’ve reselected for the original dry bean type. I’ve now cleaned this material up so that it is uniform and uniformly early, and am calling the cleaned up line “Golden Gaucho”. Plant type is a very determinate bush that goes from completely green (and impervious to damage from rain or irrigation) to completely dry (and ready to harvest) in about 7 – 10 days, unusually fast even for a bush bean. Capable of yielding more than 20 lbs./100 row feet under ordinary relatively low-input organic field conditions, the highest yield I have ever had in a bush dry bean (except for Beefy Resilient Grex, for which it was one of the parents).

Sorting out some 'quality seed' for future planting. 😁

p.s. If anyone is interested in Carol's White Candle Gaucho, the folks at Quail Seed have said that they may possibly be getting it in for the 2023 season. They start shipping in mid-January. The site will be open thru December for pre-orders, but may not show all of the new items.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
The related strain Beefy Resilient Grex is also delicious :)
That one is on my list to purchase for the upcoming season! I'm glad to hear from someone that has actually tasted it.

I already have a packet of Beef-Bush Black Resilient. There will be some redundancy* with Beefy Resilient Grex, but who cares! 😆 (I'm very excited to taste both)

*In case anyone is not aware, several of the segregations of Beefy Resilient Grex were further developed into the Beef-Bush lines. One is Brown, one Black (Carol Deppe's favorite, "beefier than beef"), and I think the other is Gold.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Wow! Had some Gaucho beans with dinner last night and they are the best tasting beans we've ever had. These are a keeper!

Our daughter picked these beans up at a Fill Your Pantry event from the same farm that produces winter squash seed for Carol Deppe. They are Carol's "Golden Gaucho" strain, and here is the description from her 2019 seed catalog:

Sorting out some 'quality seed' for future planting. 😁

p.s. If anyone is interested in Carol's White Candle Gaucho, the folks at Quail Seed have said that they may possibly be getting it in for the 2023 season. They start shipping in mid-January. The site will be open thru December for pre-orders, but may not show all of the new items.
I always enjoy reading your informative posts @meadow!

I wonder what kind of Gaucho beans I grew this summer? I thought they were a wax bean? Got them from Salt Spring Seeds who didn't say anything about using them dry...🤔

Eta: oops! They did! I rechecked!

Jack Holloway

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That one is on my list to purchase for the upcoming season! I'm glad to hear from someone that has actually tasted it.

I already have a packet of Beef-Bush Black Resilient. There will be some redundancy* with Beefy Resilient Grex, but who cares! 😆 (I'm very excited to taste both)

*In case anyone is not aware, several of the segregations of Beefy Resilient Grex were further developed into the Beef-Bush lines. One is Brown, one Black (Carol Deppe's favorite, "beefier than beef"), and I think the other is Gold.
I believe I bought some Beefy Resilient Grex seed in spring, I'll check. If I did, I can send you 1/2 the pack, if you like.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I always enjoy reading your informative posts @meadow!

I wonder what kind of Gaucho beans I grew this summer? I thought they were a wax bean? Got them from Salt Spring Seeds who didn't say anything about using them dry...🤔

Eta: oops! They did! I rechecked!
Thank you, that is kind of you to say. I'm glad you enjoy the info. 🤓

Hmm. The beans in the Salt Spring picture are rounder and fatter than these, but maybe it is the angle. The description sounds correct, although I've not seen any mention of them being a wax bean.

How does the shape of your seed compare to the picture on Russ' site? (Gaucho is a Network Bean)

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I believe I bought some Beefy Resilient Grex seed in spring, I'll check. If I did, I can send you 1/2 the pack, if you like.
Thank you, that is very generous! I may take you up on that if my original plan falls through. I won't know until after the holidays.

Latest posts