2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blue Jay's 2022 Bean Show - Day 20

Nippersink - Bush Dry- 2022

There was this outcross I discovered in Molasses Face in 2013. It sort of looked like "Money" bean but it was more orange looking than red. I grew it out 7 years after it's discovery and no stablization. The last grow out of that bean was 2020. I found another cross exactly like the first one with the same pattern and coloring in 2019. I thought maybe I'll have better luck with this one since it has a different seed mother (Weiner Trieb). So far this year was my third grow out. It creates the same off types as the first Nippersink. Maybe I should also take out the last grow out seed of the first Nippersink from my freezer and do more grow outs of that one too. The First photo is Nippersink 2019 version third grow out and the follow 5 photos are 2022 Nippersink segregations. Total Seed collected from this bean including the segregations was 20.30 ounces for about 10 or 11 plants (579.49 gm).

Nippersink-FB.jpgNippersink OT 122-FB.jpg
Nippersink 2019 version third Grow out.......................Nippersink Off Type #1 - 2022

Nippersink OT 222-FB.jpgNippersink OT 322-FB.jpgNippersink Off Type #2 - 2022.......................................Nippersink Off Type #3 - 2022

Nippersink OT 422-FB.jpgNippersink OT 522-FB.jpg
Nippersink Off Type #4 - 2022........................................Nippersink Off Type #5 - 2022

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

North Star Yellow Eye - Bush Dry- 2022

Another Robert Lobitz named bean that I wasn't satisfied with the results in 2021 so I regrew it in 2022 in that other location where I retried other Lobitz beans. It seems yellow eyes are not all that produtive but his one was nearly a half pound (7.75 ounces (219.70 gm) so I don't consider that too bad for a yellow eye for 10 plants.

North Star Yellow Eye-FB.jpg
North Town Yellow Eye - Bush Dry

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

North Town Brown Eye - Bush Dry- 2022

Another Robert Lobitz named bean regrown again in a different location with better results than last year. Total seed collected for about 11 plants (12.15 ounces 344.44 gm)

North Town Brown Eye-FB.jpg
North Town Brown Eye - Bush Dry

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Oak Tree Pinto - Bush Dry - 2022

Seems to me Robert Lobitz just couldn't get enough Pinto varieties after his first true bush pinto was released through a listing in the Seed Savers Exchange yearbook. Most of his beans have been around now for nearly 20 years or longer. I also want to retest this bean in a different location after the 2021 grow out. Seed collected for 10 plants 10.30 ounces (290 gm).

Oak Tree Pinto-FB.jpg
Oak Tree Pinto - Bush Dry

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey everybody! I think we just blew past last years thread re: number of pages! 💣💥
Last year 2021's page count was 187. One post was done on December 30. Seven posts were done on December 31. Out of the 10 posts on the page only two were done on January 1, 2022. So I consider last years page count as 187. We got to the 187 page count on October 14 and 15 this year. This is a busy thread and I think there are probably quite a few gardeners that read this thread but don't post here. We are also past 2021's 1,868 replies and we are just now even with total views at 190K.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 regarding Yellow Eye productivity i think an ounce per plant is on the low side for a decent season, but of course it can always be worse (down to zero).

the past few years i've done fairly well with my Yellow Eye bulk bean plantings but i do not keep a per plant total as i plant so many and some get trampled or eaten or may not sprout, etc. a reasonable estimate of my results is 1-2 ounces per plant that survives to harvest.

i have about 5 lbs in a large glass jar from 2021 season and about half that for 2022 (planted late and not as many but they still did reasonably well).

the Huey beans did ok, but were semi-trampled and i lost a few lbs from that damage. still have a pound or two to eat.

losing an entire bulk bean garden this season sure put a dent in my overall production but for what happened and the weather i'm still happy with the results for how much effort i had to put in.

i never tally what we eat for green, purple or wax beans but this year we mostly had purple beans a few wax and hardly any green beans. maybe a bushel or two total.

i think the Purple Dove dry harvest is going to be about 6lbs.

not much harvest from the lima beans. enough to replant was my goal once i saw how bad they were looking so i hunted through the pods and pulled enough seeds for that and then will bury the rest.

the bulk bean Victoria Brown Eye patch did well enough that i have samples already at the seed library, but not enough to eat the rest, i'll take samples of these to the seed swap in Feb.

the front bulk bean Purple Dove planting i did get a lot of dry beans from those but the other part i planted at the opposite end of that garden were heavily chewed upon and trampled and i didn't harvest much of anything from there. will turn those under too.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score

Nippersink - Bush Dry- 2022

There was this outcross I discovered in Molasses Face in 2013. It sort of looked like "Money" bean but it was more orange looking than red. I grew it out 7 years after it's discovery and no stablization. The last grow out of that bean was 2020. I found another cross exactly like the first one with the same pattern and coloring in 2019. I thought maybe I'll have better luck with this one since it has a different seed mother (Weiner Trieb). So far this year was my third grow out. It creates the same off types as the first Nippersink. Maybe I should also take out the last grow out seed of the first Nippersink from my freezer and do more grow outs of that one too. The First photo is Nippersink 2019 version third grow out and the follow 5 photos are 2022 Nippersink segregations. Total Seed collected from this bean including the segregations was 20.30 ounces for about 10 or 11 plants (579.49 gm).

View attachment 53631View attachment 53632
Nippersink 2019 version third Grow out.......................Nippersink Off Type #1 - 2022

View attachment 53633View attachment 53634Nippersink Off Type #2 - 2022.......................................Nippersink Off Type #3 - 2022

View attachment 53635View attachment 53636
Nippersink Off Type #4 - 2022........................................Nippersink Off Type #5 - 2022
Wow, a whole universe of genetic variability in that one. Which apparently bodes well for productivity, and poorly for stabilization.

capsicumguy

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Hey all. @Bluejay77 I'm sorry that I haven't packaged up and mailed the seeds I've grown for you -- it's been a really busy fall, and we only had about two weeks of actual fall at the end of October, then a hard freeze and full-on winter at the beginning of November. So I'm still processing produce -- just opened up the pumpkins from @Zeedman 's Little Greenseed breeding project.

It was pretty much the worst bean season I've ever had. Cold, wet spring; even the Rockwell beans (which are celebrated for emergence in just such conditions) were a bust. A lot of seeds didn't pop up, even when I tried to germinate them in controlled conditions in the greenhouse. A great year to start with a seed saving network! :rolleyes:

@Bluejay77 one question about the blue speckled tepary beans I grew: they dried down and are obviously viable, but they didn't develop the blue speckles. Should I still send them back to you? might be hard for the next saver to compare against what they ought to look like if they don't actually look like they ought.

Latest posts