2022 Little Easy Bean Network - We Are Beans Without Borders

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 one question about the blue speckled tepary beans I grew: they dried down and are obviously viable, but they didn't develop the blue speckles. Should I still send them back to you? might be hard for the next saver to compare against what they ought to look like if they don't actually look like they ought.
Just keep the Blue Speckled Tepary and give it another try next year. In fact if you had enough trouble with anything you got of the network beans just keep what you had harvested and give them another try in 2023. This also holds the same for anyone with network beans that didn't do well for you. Keep what you harvested and try for a better crop the following year.

reedy

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
SE Indiana on a narrow ridge above the Ohio River
I'm in middle of making a bunch of new bean trellises for next year and thought I drop in for a minute while making a pot of coffee. WOW, lots to catch up with on the 2022 bean show. Raining a little off and on, supposed to move in more steady this afternoon, I'll have something to do.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Blue Jay's 2022 Bean Show - Day 21

Pale Grey Lavender - Semi Runner Dry - 2022

I got small amount of nice beans but over all the bean didn't do well. I harvested 5.70 ounces of seed (161.59 gm). I don't remember how many plants I had. Perhaps there were 4 of them. Germination on my pole and semi runner beans was not always that good this year.

Pale Grey Lavender-FB.jpg
Pale Grey Lavender - Semi Runner

jbosmith

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hey bean friends! I've been putting off posting pics of my last varieties to ripen this year, because I needed to compare beans to leftovers to make sure my notes were correct. I present you with 'Ukrainian Pole Bean' from SSE (https://exchange.seedsavers.org/page/listing/id/3127.187619)

2022-11-26 14.06.40.jpg

Also, garden-adjacent - these were a mix of pinto varieties from previous years with some of this year's Seneca Allegheny mixed in. 40 pint/half liter jars worth, though two jars worth didn't fit in the canner due to using metric jars from Canada which are just slightly bigger.

2022-11-26 14.08.56.jpg

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Paul Bunyan Giant - Pole Snap - 2022

Moderately productive snap bean with green pods that when fully mature are up to 8 inches long (20 cm). Many of it's seeds have a slight bend in the center. No historical data is known about this variety. I acquired this bean in 2012 from the Heritage Food Crops Research Trust in New Zealand. My 2022 grow out produced 9.60 ounces of beans from perhaps 6 plants (272.15 gm).

Paul Bunyan Giant-FB.jpg
Paul Bunyan Giant - Pole Snap

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score

Peruvian Goose - Pole Dry - 2022

Of course it's name would suggest a South American origin. I obtained the bean in 2011 from Any Hawk's Simply Beans where she grew her gardens in Calhan, Colorado. Amy Hawk has retired from selling beans so she is no longer a source for this bean. I harvested a few nice beans to plant again next year but this years grow out was so small it almost didn't exist.

Peruvian Goose-FB.jpg
Peruvian Goose - Pole Dry

Last edited:

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Just keep the Blue Speckled Tepary and give it another try next year. In fact if you had enough trouble with anything you got of the network beans just keep what you had harvested and give them another try in 2023. This also holds the same for anyone with network beans that didn't do well for you. Keep what you harvested and try for a better crop the following year.

yes! :) i will have some of those again this year too. alas a few i was completely skunked on and have no more original seeds so they were the end of that packet.

if i have enough seeds i will send replacements back to you since then if someone else wants them at least you have a newer sample.

i've not yet begun to get the box of returns together yet, but this week looks like bad enough weather i might be able to wrap it up.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hey bean friends! I've been putting off posting pics of my last varieties to ripen this year, because I needed to compare beans to leftovers to make sure my notes were correct. I present you with 'Ukrainian Pole Bean' from SSE (https://exchange.seedsavers.org/page/listing/id/3127.187619)

View attachment 53654

Also, garden-adjacent - these were a mix of pinto varieties from previous years with some of this year's Seneca Allegheny mixed in. 40 pint/half liter jars worth, though two jars worth didn't fit in the canner due to using metric jars from Canada which are just slightly bigger.

View attachment 53656
Those purple beans tho! :love:love:love

I can't believe how much those look like Lilascheke, but it's clearly a different bean because Lila has yellow pods. So GORGEOUS. And all those bean jars!! Do you cook them up in those amounts jb? Like, one jar at a time?

Latest posts