2023 Little Easy Bean Network - Beans Beyond The Colors Of A Rainbow

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
The white dotted ones are from a passionfruit.

As for the top ones I think they may be some sort of Achoncha/ Caigua (Cyclanthera pedata).

The tomato like ones, given that this is Joe we are talking about, are probably from some sort of Amazonian member of the Solanaceae. Maybe Tamarillo or Cocona

And I'd be willing to try some of either or both of the lablabs.

Oh, and since it looks like Seakangaroo isn't here anymore, if you happen to see any beans in there that LOOK like Ugandan Discussion (mottled green. blue, and violet) please let me know and put me on the list for when you think you have enough to share.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
The top ones look like Achocha seeds to me too -
fresh-raw-achocha-edible-plant-closeup-ecuador-fresh-raw-achocha-edible-plant-closeup-ecuador-wood-surface-112163579.jpg

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Thank you heirloomgal. However there seems to be something more magical about your photos for me.
If you want to get more detail in your bean pics, very bright lighting makes all the difference. I have a Samsung Tablet, an economy basic model, and it won't take good pictures in regular lighting. Not even in front of a super bright, sunny, south facing window. I need to either bring them outside in mid day sun (early morning and evening won't do it) and indoors I use a grow light I keep seedlings under. What kind of device to you use to take pics?

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
A little Brown Soybean that Joseph looks like he got from the USDA seed bank.
It has a USDA accession number of PI 548395. The packet is marked 2013

SOYBEAN - OGEMAW - PI 548395 - 2013.jpg

Another Soybean with USDA accession number PI 243529.
Packet is marked with the year 2013.
SOYBEAN PI 243529 - GOYO-2013.jpg

Another Soybean with a USDA accession number of PI 567214 A
Year is also 2013.

SOYBEAN DEMETIA - PI 567214 A- 2013.jpg
The brown one is "Ogemaw", developed in Michigan. I had it for awhile, but had other brown varieties which did better, so dropped it.

The green one is "Goyo". Large-seeded, probably edamame type. Long season though, Maturity Group IV; a good choice for someone from mid-Illinois & South. It would be a lost cause at my latitude. :(

The last one is "Demetra", from Russia. It is Maturity Group I, so will grow almost anywhere that beans will dry... but has no exceptional traits, and grows very tall (over 36").

Really odd that Joseph would pick these unremarkable soybeans from all of the thousands available in the USDA's collection. :idunno

I agree that the seed in the top photo is some member of the gourd family. It closely resembles the seed of Cyclanthera brachystachya, which I grow. THAT one has pods that explode, expelling the seed with enough force to cause eye injury. It could be interesting... but could also be photo-period sensitive.

Last edited:

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Found a few more items in the Joseph Simcox seed bag. The first item maybe similar or the same as the post I did before. There a three small ziploc packets of this first photoed item and they are reallly packed with these seeds.
Found another yellow soybean and third a bunch of Black Pigeon Peas. Anyone know what those are. If anyone wants these items they are available. Let me know and I'll send them.

PHOTO #1.jpg

Soybean PI 507487
SOYBEAN PI 507487.jpg

Black Pigeon Peas
BLACK PIGEON PEAS.jpg

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
If you want to get more detail in your bean pics, very bright lighting makes all the difference. I have a Samsung Tablet, an economy basic model, and it won't take good pictures in regular lighting. Not even in front of a super bright, sunny, south facing window. I need to either bring them outside in mid day sun (early morning and evening won't do it) and indoors I use a grow light I keep seedlings under. What kind of device to you use to take pics?
I use a Canon Power Shot G3 4 pixel camera. Doesn't sound like much it's nearly 20 years old but it takes very clear photos. I bought a newer 20 pixel Canon digital camera and I didn't think much of the photo quality. My smart phone takes better photos than this 20 pixel Canon. I have over my photo table a 300 what light bulb. I think my photos aren't bad but I think your photos are taken at more of an angle and mine look like they are taken directly overhead. Although my photos are taken at some angle. I think it's the angle that makes your photos look more interesting.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
How did your interview with the G & M go today?
I thought the interview went very well. I enjoyed talking with Erin and will have to see what she comes up with for her article. She asked a lot of questions about the bean Blue Jay and when I discovered it. We also talked a little about the importance of seed saving.

Pulsegleaner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Found a few more items in the Joseph Simcox seed bag. The first item maybe similar or the same as the post I did before. There a three small ziploc packets of this first photoed item and they are reallly packed with these seeds.
Found another yellow soybean and third a bunch of Black Pigeon Peas. Anyone know what those are. If anyone wants these items they are available. Let me know and I'll send them.

View attachment 56414

Soybean PI 507487
View attachment 56415

Black Pigeon Peas
View attachment 56416
Top is another kind of passionfruit (there are a LOT of species).

could you rub a few of the pigeon peas and shine a light on them to see if they are TRULY black or just that sort of purply spotted look a lot of East Asian ones have (I've noticed that Caribbean and South American Pigeon peas tend to be along the grey/tan/reddish spectrum with regards to see color, while the Phillipine ones go along the purply one. Africa seems to use a mix of both.)

Latest posts