2023 Little Easy Bean Network - Beans Beyond The Colors Of A Rainbow

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
I couldnt get one Frost seedling to germinate last year. Which was frustrating as i enjoy the English heirloom beans. I dug them up and found they just sort of swelled some and turned to mush.i wonder if the seed has lost all viability?

If the seed turns to mush it is not viable seed. Maybe too old. However I get the sense that even after a grower gets a new crop of seed they seem to have a trouble growing them. I just looked into my freezer inventory list and there is seed samples of Frost here. One grower has turned new seed in of this bean.

Boilergardener

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
If the seed turns to mush it is not viable seed. Maybe too old. However I get the sense that even after a grower gets a new crop of seed they seem to have a trouble growing them. I just looked into my freezer inventory list and there is seed samples of Frost here. One grower has turned new seed in of this bean
Good information, I hope you can get a good crop of them this yr

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Got some wonderful mail today! :D

Mongeta del Ganxet Negra (they look like black cashews!)
20230413_205350.jpg

Genoll de Crist (been wanting this one for a long time!)
20230413_210228.jpg

Dikpenske
20230413_205456.jpg

Frauenbohne
20230413_204642.jpg

Altmarker
20230413_205833.jpg

Bigarrada Gris-Negre
20230413_205056.jpg

Ladyreneer

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Hi everyone! New to this forum but I'm a (new) bean lover too. I've recently been gifted a variety of Lima beans from somebody in Colombia but without any names (or just: green, red, pink as names). I was wondering if the more experienced growers here could help me identify some of them?

I will be growing them out this year in the Netherlands. My first time growing Lima beans so if anyone has tips on growing lima beans specifically in my climate, more than welcome! If I manage to grow them out successfully I plan on sharing these beans but I would like to at least have tried to assign them their proper names, if they exist.

I also have the photos in more detail if you need.
What gorgeous Lima Beans! I have no idea of the names for these but I seem to have a "thing" for pretty Limas. If you ever offer them please let me know. 🫘
~Renée

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
What gorgeous Lima Beans! I have no idea of the names for these but I seem to have a "thing" for pretty Limas. If you ever offer them please let me know. 🫘
~Renée

There is a couple of bean growers that post a lot of beans on Facebook bean groups. They tell me that most beans in South America have no names. I don't know why that is so. I guess they are just beans of various colors and patterns and people grow them.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Frauenbohne
This one I have never grown a nice looking crop of this bean yet. I haven't grown it in a number of years. The bean seemed to be terribly outcrossed. It comes from Germany and it reminds me of a bean that comes from England called Money. Your beans look very nice.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
How many of our Canadian growers here have a subcription to the Globe And Mail. Senior feature writer Erin Anderssen will interview over the phone Monday. We will talk about Blue Jay, Seed saving and maybe other gardening topics. Will see if he gets any useful information to write about in the publication.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
This one I have never grown a nice looking crop of this bean yet. I haven't grown it in a number of years. The bean seemed to be terribly outcrossed. It comes from Germany and it reminds me of a bean that comes from England called Money. Your beans look very nice.

i was thinking that when i first saw it but it looks like it has more darker colors in it and less of the reds i'm used to seeing.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
How many of our Canadian growers here have a subcription to the Globe And Mail. Senior feature writer Erin Anderssen will interview over the phone Monday. We will talk about Blue Jay, Seed saving and maybe other gardening topics. Will see if he gets any useful information to write about in the publication.

good luck! :) i hope the article will inspire more people to garden and grow beans.

Latest posts