2023 Little Easy Bean Network - Beans Beyond The Colors Of A Rainbow

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
this is the result of growing some Lavender bush beans:

DSC_20230206_193234-0500_1853_Lavender_thm.jpg

the left white beans and then to right of them are a few silvery bluish ones that i like but i'm guessing that when they're replanted they might just end up as lavender anyways. the middle lavender and purpleish beans are a few variations because some of those are semi-runner or possibly pole beans - i may be able to segregate them by color (we'll see). the tan/dark olive beans on the right are interesting color but i really don't need any more experiments... are they bush, semi-runner or pole? i dunno... your guess is as good as mine. :)

this is the bigger version of the picture if you really want to look closer:

https://www.anthive.com/img/beans/DSC_20230206_193234-0500_1853_Lavender.jpg
Are those all the results from Lavender Bush? How many seeds did you plant?! They are very, very beautifully colored beans for sure.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Are those all the results from Lavender Bush? How many seeds did you plant?! They are very, very beautifully colored beans for sure.

they are a beautifully colored bean! i interplanted them with two different adzuki varieties to see how that would work. it worked very well. i also have half a quart of adzuki beans from that row.

a short row of about 13 feet (i just measured it using the satelite picture :) isn't some modern technology wonderful? :) ). probably about 25 plants in there total, but the odd colors likely came from a single seed. there were a few plants that got very large and were definitely not bush beans.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
is anyone here interested in matte finish beans? :)

the Black Turtle bean first came to me as a matte finish. i don't grow that one regularly any longer but i do have three other matte finish beans. a red one (that can wander from browns to lighter reds), a grayish striped bean and a black bean with speckles. the last two came from selections from Peregion and i'm not exactly sure if the gray striped one was originally in there but it has come about (there's a lot of striped beans in Peregion). i have some original samples still of Peregion but i've not gone through them yet to see if any hints of the gray striped bean are in there or not.

the interesting other point about the gray striped bean with the matte finish is the area around the eye on some of them is white and it reminds me of another bean i spend a lot of time with (Purple Dove of course :) ). at times i do see hints of stripes in PD so i'm wondering where those stripes may have come from and having some kind of link to a striped bean is possible as an ancestor. they also tend to be angular and not large beans but a few do make it bigger than 1cm from time to time as more rounded beans.

the black speckled matte finish versions are very interesting looking (a small bean for the most part -- i don't see many get over 8mm) and many are angular.

this was the first year in a long time that i did my best to regenerate my seed supply for Peregion as a blend and that meant planting a lot of the old beans i had on hand and hoping some of them would grow. i did get a good response (better than i expected actually) from my plantings and harvested all sorts of different beans and i blended them back together making sure i had all the different types represented in my seed samples. i hope to be sending them off to other homes at the seed swap. only nine samples.

some time i should get a picture of the refreshed beans and the old oxidized ones that are all darker.

next year i'll again replant as much of the old seeds of Peregion that i still have left and see what they can produce. some are semi-runners and sprawl all over the place and others are more compact bush plants. none have been large enough that i'd consider them a pole bean.

sometime i should also take individual pictures of each type of bean i've found. Tan Goat's Eye i already have pictures of (and Huey is a decendant of those and the common red beans i grow called Red Ryder).

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I bought a new bean called 'Faggidi Alta Con la Buccia Blu Pole Bean'. I have no idea why I immediately jumped to the conclusion that these were blue, but I did. I think I thought they might also look like corn. Opened up the package...not blue! Nothing like corn either. Haha, I'm a dork who is much too literally assumptive.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I bought a new bean called 'Faggidi Alta Con la Buccia Blu Pole Bean'. I have no idea why I immediately jumped to the conclusion that these were blue, but I did. I think I thought they might also look like corn. Opened up the package...not blue! Nothing like corn either. Haha, I'm a dork who is much too literally assumptive.

too funny! but you left out what they actually did look like... :)

NLbeangrower

Leafing Out
Reaction score
Hi everyone! New to this forum but I'm a (new) bean lover too. I've recently been gifted a variety of Lima beans from somebody in Colombia but without any names (or just: green, red, pink as names). I was wondering if the more experienced growers here could help me identify some of them?

I will be growing them out this year in the Netherlands. My first time growing Lima beans so if anyone has tips on growing lima beans specifically in my climate, more than welcome! If I manage to grow them out successfully I plan on sharing these beans but I would like to at least have tried to assign them their proper names, if they exist.

I also have the photos in more detail if you need.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 88
  • 2.png
    2.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 83
  • 3.png
    3.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 80

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
@NLbeangrower , welcome to The Easy Garden! :welcome

Very pretty beans... but I rather doubt you will be able to assign names to them, especially given their origin. Bean seed coat patterns often repeat, so any name would just be a guess. #5 & #11 sure look unusual though.

Not to be a wet blanket; but if those are from Columbia, some or all may be photo-period sensitive. Several years ago, I tried to grow a tropical lima that I was gifted which looked much like your #4. A very large, impressive lima that I had high hopes for - but it was photo-period sensitive, and didn't bloom until the Autumnal equinox (2 weeks before my killing freeze :(). Photo-period sensitivity would be irrelevant though, if grown in a greenhouse. I hope you are successful, and look forward to hearing about your results.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Hi everyone! New to this forum but I'm a (new) bean lover too. I've recently been gifted a variety of Lima beans from somebody in Colombia but without any names (or just: green, red, pink as names). I was wondering if the more experienced growers here could help me identify some of them?

I will be growing them out this year in the Netherlands. My first time growing Lima beans so if anyone has tips on growing lima beans specifically in my climate, more than welcome! If I manage to grow them out successfully I plan on sharing these beans but I would like to at least have tried to assign them their proper names, if they exist.

I also have the photos in more detail if you need.
Gorgeous beans! One of them looks like mint chips dipped in chocolate! I'm not much of a lima grower (not successfully, anyway) but I wish you the best of luck, looks like you've got some real special gems there. For any difficult or potentially long season bean I always use transplants, if that's any help. Limas seem to be a bean that need a bit more time than other species.

Welcome to the LEBN! Glad to have you here! :welcome

Latest posts