2023 Little Easy Bean Network - Beans Beyond The Colors Of A Rainbow

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I also grew this same bean variety in two other places; one garden produced brown seeds similar to the ones from Uprising Seeds, and the garden right next door produced kidney shaped beige seeds flecked with lilac. Is this typical of purple pole beans, to have so many different expressions with the seed? Any thoughts or insights would be most appreciated.
It looks like some of that seed was crossed. I've grown "Trionfo Violetto" before (might even still have some old seed laying around). Beige with some light violet specking is typical fresh, but they turn brown with age. I had the same thing happen with new seed of "Kew Blue", which is similar enough that the two might be identical. When the source for "Kew Blue" sent me a second packet with the same issue, I gave up on it. Neither was especially productive anyway.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
2023 beans continued:

100_1102.JPG 100_0947.JPG
20231209_004933.jpg 20231209_005016.jpg
"Yancheng Bush", a true-bush 'footlong' bean. Sent to me by a Gardenweb member in Texas, who got them from her father in Yancheng, China. I sent some back to her a few years later, when all of her seed was destroyed. This bears heavily, and very quickly - 50 days to first harvest! If kept picked, it will continue to produce until the weather cools. The pods are light green, very crunchy, and slightly sweet. A good "yardlong" for those with short seasons, or who don't want to deal with pole types. 70-80 days to dry seed. Yardlong beans usually produce 6-8 ounces of seed for me; but 16 ounces from "Yancheng" this year, in spite of early weed pressure.

20230824_130519.jpg 20230824_130550.jpg
20231213_004625.jpg 20231114_233441.jpg
"Murasaki" adzuki bean. From an SSE member in Ontario in 2006. As discussed in a runner bean post recently, "murasaki" is Japanese for 'purple'. True bush habit, but more robust than the other two adzuki that I grow, so may tip over or ramble a bit. Very productive (if critters don't get them) and larger seeded; but also a much later DTM, which just barely fits into my short growing season. Pods began to abort when the weather cooled, so this would be more productive in a longer season. Chipmunks started to harvest these, but I caught them in time to save much of the crop. 10 ounces of seed, so at about 200 seeds per ounce, close to 2000 seeds.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It looks like some of that seed was crossed. I've grown "Trionfo Violetto" before (might even still have some old seed laying around). Beige with some light violet specking is typical fresh, but they turn brown with age. I had the same thing happen with new seed of "Kew Blue", which is similar enough that the two might be identical. When the source for "Kew Blue" sent me a second packet with the same issue, I gave up on it. Neither was especially productive anyway.
This is helpful information Zeeman-- especially in terms of learning what the typical seed coat should look like. A lot of these seeds will be destined for the soup pot I think. Having said that, I very much enjoyed growing these beans and hope to have them in the garden again next year.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Bluejay77 the network bean box went off to you in today's mail.
Flowerbug that is great ! Now I can soon back up Artur's network requests when your package arrives and mail them off to him.

If it's of any interest to overseas and Canadian network growers. I did successfully sign up for a new Small Seed Lots account on this past Wednesday the 13th of December. The Yellow/Green shipping label that gets affixed to a return package won't expire now until December 13, 2026.

Decoy1

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
That’s good to hear. It gives plenty of warning for next year if our UK contingent is still able to participate - perhaps three of us next year?
Is there anyway of knowing whether our parcel made it in time to get through customs by the expiry date of this year’s permit?
Is that definitely 2026 though? A three year permit? So no early deadline for the next two years? That’s even better.

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
Is there anyway of knowing whether our parcel made it in time to get through customs by the expiry date of this year’s permit?
Is that definitely 2026 though? A three year permit? So no early deadline for the next two years? That’s even better.
No way of knowing if your parcel made in on time. I would doubt it. It probably would need 7 to 10 days to make it there. Will see what happens. Perhaps they will remember that I get a number of parcels and have always followed the rules. Maybe they will be lenient. Fingers crossed.

Three year permit yes !

Blue-Jay

Garden Master
Reaction score
@flowerbug,

Your package has arrived. I haven't opened it yet. It must have been put on my doorstep sometime this morning. I think it might have even been delivered to the wrong address. The package was not there when I went out the front door this morning to dispose of my weekly garbage.

Latest posts