4 am Scream

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Across from White Plains house is about 10 acres of woods, it diveds the neighborhood. I am in the middle class section other side of woods is estates of very rich. One night about 2am I was woken up by a pack of coyotes, they had a deer trapped was not a quick kill. For 45 minutes the deer screamed till it fell silent. The coyotes where barking thats how I knew there where many. Was a horrible long 45 minutes, I got out bed to make sure my doors where locked.
Everything has to eat.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Agree, just hate that cats & dogs like to torture their prey first.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I agree Cat everything has to eat. I had the same thing happen as your brother. I really feel guilty because I saw the raccoon hanging around for a few days. I thought my coop fort knox so did not worry. He got in one night and killed every hen If he killed one and ate it I would have understood. I hired a trapper and told him I didnt want to know what he did with raccoon. But I knew it is illeage to relocate wild life.

Last edited:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
Agree, just hate that cats & dogs like to torture their prey first.
Oh, yea. My cats with bunnies and squirrels. I used to stop them and rescue the bunnies. I have gotten over that knowing they were going to die anyway. I do feel a little bad when the tiny bunnies are so cute. I often find a mouse tail and face left behind. But they always later throw it up.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
as i've studied many creatures i've found very few of what are considered only human traits actually solely practiced by humans.

however, we're so dominant now that we take a huge amount in comparison to what is taken from us. while i regret any attacks by animals upon humans at times i do think it's just a bit of basic turnabout and fair play in the greater scheme of things and as a species i think it's also good to have a bit of something to look out for and to not be so complacent about our place in the world/wild. i want that. i know a lot of people don't really understand this, but like wild spaces i think it's important.

you can't really be free if there is no room or resources to be free, if everyone is climbing all over each other like a box of hamsters... well... it's no longer really about freedom anymore it's just survival. *shrug* ya know...
So why are you planning on building a fence to keep deer out of your gardens to prevent them from eating their fair share of produce ??? They have to eat too just as much as you !

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
So why are you planning on building a fence to keep deer out of your gardens to prevent them from eating their fair share of produce ??? They have to eat too just as much as you !

because they can eat anything outside the fences they want which they do anyways... the front yard which isn't going to be wholey fenced they eat most of the lillies and a lot of the mums and other flowers. and we have a large area out on the other side of the drainage ditch they can also eat all they want back there. and they eat the cedar trees and ...

plus i already share plenty with the creatures that get through the other fence as it is and i won't be able to keep the chipmunks, voles or birds out of this area either.

one of the ethics of permaculture is that you always give back some of what you produce. in almost all of the gardens that happens very easily. for the North garden without a fence i've given back about 98% of what's grown there the past three or four years.

p.s. i also grow beans outside the fenced gardens and will likely do that next year too and they'll eat some of those. right now they're coming in most nights to eat the clovers we have growing in the few grassy areas we have left. we also mow a large area along the corn field to the south they feed there (it's not even our property, but after the farmers sprayed weed killer along the edge and ruined the grass we had there i planted clover to recover from that so the deer really like that to munch on).

Last edited:

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pulling out my driveway at 4:30 am a red fox ran in front of my car. Could see him clear in cars head lights. 2 things I noticed was how thick and healthy his coat looked, and how small he was. I am used to seeing mangy coyotes Who are much bigger. He is welcome to stay and live in peace as long as he doesn't develop taste for duck. He to small to be a danger to my dogs

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
They will eat chickens. I lock my chickens up every night and rarely have a loss. Occassionaly I lose one in the daytime. Mine die of old age.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Saw the fox again in my yard this morning. I was told coyotes will not stand for a fox in their terrorty if true I rather the fox then coyote. He is welcome to stay and live in peace as long as his menu is wild game, He develops taste for poultry all bets are off.

Latest posts