a mere shadow of my former self ;)

vfem

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Congrats Steve! You keep going with it! We're all so proud of you!!!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Gosh...I'm so envious of you Steve...I guess I really need to try to lose some weight also. My problem is getting serious enough to start. I weigh 118 but that is alittle to much if you're only 5'. I have a big stomach I don't like but keep telling myself it's genetic. I guess I'm like an ostrich with her head in the sand! :(

I go to the gym 3 times a week and work hard there. I know I'm healthy but my stomach bothers me but I don't think you can lose that if you are 56 years old!

Maybe, I'll try like you and try to lose 2 pounds in a month. I just love to eat good food. :D If I can do that, I can maybe lose the 10lbs I want!

Mary

kcsunshine

Chillin' In The Garden
Reaction score
I've lost the same 25 lbs. at least 5 times. It always comes back with friends. This trip to the Dr. I weighed a bunch (make that a big bunch)! More than I've ever weighed. I've got to get it off, I feel terrible. This summer was just to hot to move, much less to walk a couple of miles - This fall I've just got to make myself move, move, move.

lesa

Garden Master
Reaction score
Excellent job, Steve! It is so much easier in the summer isn't it?? When I was younger the 10 winter pounds came right off in the spring. Now, I'm lucky to lose it by the end of August. That is only a month away from brownie season!!
Isn't there some snow to shovel? That is a pretty good calorie burner- just not as much fun as gardening! The only thing that keeps me from becoming a whale, is that I absolutely refuse to eat prepared or processed foods. So, if I want a baked snack, I have to have the time, the ingredients, and the inclination to bake them. I have been dying for brownies, but the chickens are barely laying enough for breakfast!
Keep up the good work!!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
lesa said:
. . . I absolutely refuse to eat prepared or processed foods. . . .
I think that is probably the best way to lose weight or, at least, to keep it off.

Fruits and veggies have so much water! A baked apple, the way I often eat them, is 85% water. So, it is a dense food. I just peel, chop and microwave. An apple is good food! It is even sweet!

Apple: 48 calories
Apple Strudel: 274 calories
in 100 grams, USDA National Nutrient Database

Nearly equal to 6 Apples! . . . Eat 6 apples? No. But, 100 grams of strudel -- that I can eat. And, later -- I'll have more :(.

Steve

Warthog

Attractive To Bees
Reaction score
Congratulations Steve, you are doing so well. :celebrate

Just as a note, many years ago when I was in my Doctor's surgery, they had a chart on the wall showing pictures of various exercises and listing the calories that exercise burnt per hour. Exercises like gym, rowing, tennis, jogging etc. The one showing the most calories burnt per hour was gardening. Now I presume that to mean the whole aspect of gardening, weeding, raking mowing, digging etc., but interesting.

Before I left England, I needed to lose some weight, took out a gym membership, did absolutely nothing for me. Used to walk about 2 miles each lunch time when I was working (I walk quicker than some people jog) and started losing weight.

Here in Belize it is too darn hot to walk much, but the gardening in the heat keeps the weight off.

Good luck, we are all so proud of you.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Thank you, Everyone, for the Encouragement! I will need to look back here repeatedly thru the off-season as I try to keep the weight off.

Stretching . . . That's what I'm mostly doing in the garden. I have to plant my feet and reeeaach!

Early yesterday, I was trying to make changes to my schedule. So, I was doing the "Classical Stretch" with Miranda, again. Today, I was driving back and forth to the airport during the appropriate time :rolleyes:.

I am not sure what I'd do if they take that show off PBS. Before Miranda, I was exercising with Joanie Greggains and the Morning Stretch.

:weight

S'

obsessed

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
kcsunshine said:
I've lost the same 25 lbs. at least 5 times. It always comes back with friends. This trip to the Dr. I weighed a bunch (make that a big bunch)! More than I've ever weighed. I've got to get it off, I feel terrible. This summer was just to hot to move, much less to walk a couple of miles - This fall I've just got to make myself move, move, move.
Have you thought of Weight Watchers? I don't mean to push them but after years and years of seeing the scale move up and diet after failed diet, the scale is finally going in the right direction. It is not a diet or something I will stop when I decided to leave the program. I really feel like it is giving me the skills I needed to eat a healthy amount of just about anything and still maintain my weight. I have learned so much and although I could probably do the program by myself now I feel like I need my meetings It is essentially AA for fat people but because of the things I am learning and the support I get I am successful (that is when I am not lying to myself about what or how much I am really eating!).

One of the best parts of the program is there is nothing that is off limits. I mean if I want an oreo I can have an oreo. I just have to count the oreo in my daily alloted points. Which means that if I have 10 oreos instead of 2 then I will be mighty hungry later whe I am out of points. So now my points mean more to me than the oreo. Like the doughnut at the office is so not worth have an extremely light dinner. I do my best to stay on plan and although I make mistakes it is always ok (like the other day when I went over my points by like 16+).

Just saying.....

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
digitS' said:
Thank you, Everyone, for the Encouragement! I will need to look back here repeatedly thru the off-season as I try to keep the weight off.
Well, I didn't do it . . . keep the weight off :(.

Some of you probably suspected, right? Just too polite to ask? I am sorry. I got so much encouragement. Sorry that I weakly went back to eating too much after all the summer and fall exercise came to an end.

So, I gained it all back by February. Yep, Yo-Yo :rolleyes: made it all the way to 205#!!

And . . . I am not only short of my usual goal of a 15# summer loss but I'm short of the REAL goal of getting my weight below 185. This year, that will take a 20# loss from 205 . . . How am I gonna do it!??!

Okay, I have a plan (you didn't think that I'd revise this thread and admit to my weakness without one, did you :/?)

I'll start a new thread on the "plan." Now that you know that your encouragement may need to take the form of tough love, maybe we can just let last year, be last year - after 1 or 2 slaps to the back of my fat head. But anyway, Onward!!!

Steve, Loser

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh Steve! I can't believe it! It looks like you've gained more than you ever have? How's that for making you feel rotten? Sorry, I'm just kidding. It is just so hard even when you are doing the right things. This morning I got on the scale and weighed 2 pounds more than I did a couple of months ago. How can that be? I increased my days of going to the gym from 3 to 5 days a week! Eat like a bird, with food geared more towards a rabbit.

I am anxiously awaiting to hear about your plan. Maybe I'll try it. I can't see what more I can do. But I refuse to buy clothes a bigger size.

Mary

Latest posts