a New Home

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Because my powder room is next to public rooms I have a fan that comes on anytime lights turned on. Nothing more embarrassing then hearing someone with gas use the bathroom.
U live such a sheltered life...... :)

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
We're building a new home here in the neighborhood. I like that it will be to the newest code, even if the da** sprinkler system is gonna cost us $5K. 2 x 6 framing, good quality windows, will insulate the attic crawl space to the max, and I've even researched a new spray on composite stucco product that claims a greater R value than siding.

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
Even as a lover of old buildings with character, I sure wouldn't mind building a brand spanking new house with all the conveniences, built in doo-dads, and plenty of electrical outlets. Except, my DH and I never agree on anything, so it would take about a hundred years to get done.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
We're building a new home here in the neighborhood. I like that it will be to the newest code, even if the da** sprinkler system is gonna cost us $5K. 2 x 6 framing, good quality windows, will insulate the attic crawl space to the max, and I've even researched a new spray on composite stucco product that claims a greater R value than siding.
Congratulations !!! :celebrate My next door neighbor in Cal. was one of the very first ones to use that composit spray on stucko. Very nice. Just a heads up if you are interested in energy performance... a few months later,I positioned the house where the front as well as most of the windown faces due "South " and 2 1/2ft. roof overhangs and I installed 90 lb felt , then covered it with Hardy Board. Hardy Board is fire resistant too. This does a better job on energy efficiency than the neighbor's does. :cool:

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
ohhhh - gonna copy and send your comment to DH. The entire back with french doors and lots of windows faces Due South. The West side will have much fewer windows due to the extreme heat we get.

At our current home, it also faces due south and only has the standard depth soffits, hence the motorized Sunsetter monstrosity we had to buy AND exterior blinds on the sliders AND a roll down shade on the West side AND heavy curtains pulled in each window.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Eero Saarinen designed the house I lived in Westport. House lore was Mrs Edinger told him !) There was no budget house would cost what it cost. 2) She was a modern woman and wanted a modern house. 3) The house was on the sound, because of the stirring of war in Europe, the house had to able to withstand shelling from a uboat. 4) every room had to have at least 2 doorways for escape. The house was built with steel I beams rare back then. Had 23 exterior doors, the only rooms that had 1 door was the 2 maids rooms and the laundry room. There was a secret room behind a wall rack in the wine cellar, that wasn't in any of the blue prints.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Even as a lover of old buildings with character, I sure wouldn't mind building a brand spanking new house with all the conveniences, built in doo-dads, and plenty of electrical outlets. Except, my DH and I never agree on anything, so it would take about a hundred years to get done.
DW and I are like that with this home idea. She says she loves this olde house, which is better than if she didn't ... I suppose. She likes ranch houses, I do not.

Maybe this whole central unit idea would work for you, So Lucky. If you could agree on the exterior look (maybe I could go for a modified ranch), the interior is just enclosed space.

The conversation with the spouse would have to do with the color of the cabinet doors, that sort of thing.

Steve

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
So lucky, building a house together requires a strong commitment to the marriage. Many a couple has ended up in divorce court trying to build their American dream. Why, I'm not all that sure.

Getting agreements before hand is a plus, I'm sure, but having a contractor do the work probably works a lot better than doing it ourselves and living in the basement while working upstairs.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I love my old house but I also love seeing new construction go up. We put a big addition on around 30 years ago. Though no longer new it has always been easier to clean the the old part which we gutted over the years room by room. I guess they didn't have levels or squares 100 years ago. or at least so it seems in this house. I would meticulously cut and measure those odd shaped pieces of sheetrock only to try and put it in place and all the angles were askew. I had to sometimes make a cardboard pattern to get it right. Have a blast building!

Latest posts