A Seed Saver's Garden

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
What are you using for light?
I have two kinds - the terrarium fluorescent type (the cheap kind that cost about 15 bucks for 2) and I also have the full spectrum type. I've mostly transferred the peppers over from the full spectrum to the terrarium lights, they don't do as well with the full spec. It seems like it's too intense. My guess is that peppers in their wilder forms are understory plants, so full heat but not light is something they are more accustomed to.

Something that puzzles me, and thus far I have chalked up to genetic diversity, is the leagues of difference there can be from one plant to the next in terms of size and growth vigour. Some of the peppers, same variety, are 4 times the size as other ones. There is a real gradation in their sizes though they were all planted at the same time and treated the same? Or do you think there may some other factor involved with these differences?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
... and how often are you using the fish emulsion? (I'm taking notes! haha!)
The 1st dose I give when the plants start looking a bit pale, and afterward it's been about every two weeks. I haven't been giving them quite the full strength yet, because they are small. I don't want them too big too fast either because I still have to keep them inside for another 4 months! 🤣 But I do actually like to set out plants in spring that are really big, about 1' to 1.5'. I'm not always up to looking after plants that much in winter, but this last summer I didn't grow like 150 tomatoes and ferment their seeds, so I'm more energised than usual. Apparently fish emulsion can make the soil acidic over time, like any fertiliser I guess, and so I go easy and really judge things by looking at the plants. I have found this product in particular especially good (don't know why), and I've tried other types of organic fertilisers too. I also like that though it is made of fish refuse, it has some natural addition that makes it smell like citrus. Unless I leave it around in a jug for more than 2 days.....🤢

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Unless I leave it around in a jug for more than 2 days.....🤢
..and then it smells like roses? 🤣

Thank you so much for the info!! It has been a long time since I've grown peppers as they've not done well for me in the past. My daughter's success inspired me to purchase seed this year, and I've found varieties that may have a better chance.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
..and then it smells like roses? 🤣

Thank you so much for the info!! It has been a long time since I've grown peppers as they've not done well for me in the past. My daughter's success inspired me to purchase seed this year, and I've found varieties that may have a better chance.
Do you grow your peppers in the ground, or in containers?

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Today I be like
1643847648343.png

Such a great day!! Not sure how much Canada's events are making it onto screens outside of this country, but miracles are happening. Wonderful things are happening. Unshakeable solidarity between people of every background, every age, every occupation. I would never have believed that what I am seeing unfold could happen outside of a movie. Complete strangers are holding hands dancing & singing in the streets together, people are walking through the city with wagons full of food & drinks to give away to people, grocery store workers are showing up with 100's of baskets of strawberries, restaurant owners are handing out hundreds Polish sausages and buns. Hundreds of people are buying cases of water, fresh coffee and pizza to give away to anyone who is hungry. My daughter last night asked to donate 5 dollars of her saved up money to help the truckers. People who live in the city of Ottawa are coming out from their houses and apartment buildings in the downtown area to ask people if they want to come to their home and use their shower or bathroom. Children are handing out cookies to people weeping in the streets. The battle for freedom has officially been won in the province of Alberta and is spreading. The farmers have joined with tractors and farm trucks to help their brothers, and the towing companies have joined to support them by resisting being forced into service. It's incredible, but real. There is only joy. Love really does win in the end.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I grew them in the ground (started indoors), but it was many years ago and I don't actually remember what I did. I probably treated them similar to tomatoes.
I ask mostly because, depending on how hot your summers get, peppers can sometimes do better above ground in a pot than in ground. If it is a very hot summer they can do excellent in ground too. I had some bell peppers planted in ground last year during a scorching & wet summer and they grew fantastic. But that is really rare for my area.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
I grew them in the ground (started indoors), but it was many years ago and I don't actually remember what I did. I probably treated them similar to tomatoes.
If you are in an area that gets those cool Pacific winds, your peppers may do better if tented. That would retain more of the sun's heat, and reduce wind exposure. I cage/tent peppers with the lightest grade of spun polyester row cover for seed saving, and find that those tented peppers far out-perform plants of the same variety grown out in the open. The tenting also reduces insect damage, and virtually eliminates sun scald.

The only caveat: watch for aphids. Protected from natural predators by the tent, the aphid population inside can explode within weeks. I design my cages so that I can open the downwind side, and open that side as soon as enough peppers have set for seed. Aphid predators (especially wasps) are very active in my garden, and once the cage is opened, they quickly eliminate any aphids with no action on my part. That open side can also be re-closed on cool days, or to protect from light frosts.

Edit: When I lived on Whidbey Island in the 70's, peppers only did well if planted against the Southern wall. That too may be helpful, if you have an area available on a South-facing wall with full sun (or close to it).

Latest posts