A Seed Saver's Garden

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Did you decide which corn you're growing this year?

...and what qualities are you looking for in a corn? (fresh eating, grinding, popping, something else??)

I have too many varieties. o_O Maybe the answer is to have someone come out, till up the whole place and convert it all into garden!
At the moment, I'm sort of leaning towards the miniature red dent, using the new method I want to try. If that works, that's it. if it doesn't and the stuff gets all eaten earlier enough, I might go to the miniature Glass Gem, on the grounds I have so much seed of that that, if I toss it all in, there may be TOO many for the critters to get them all before some of them grow up!.

And yes, if I lived somewhere where I had a couple hundred acres of tillable land, that WOULD make things easier. Though it would be the oddest corn field imaginable, with mostly empty space (the separation buffer zones) surrounding corn patches that were generally only 100 square feet, if even that.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
You are most welcome @heirloomgal ! Best of luck. I can't guarantee the germination rate on any of them, but a few of the packs are from this year, so they should be good.
Well, I've planted almost all of them! I gave them the royal treatment - freshly scrubbed pots, a dunk in some hot water with some bleach added (which I never do because I'm a lazy gardener), organic potting soil and some two day rested water for the finale. Then onto a cozy heating mat, with individual tops for each pot. Fingers crossed! 🤞 I hope they all sprout, but I REALLY hope the Sugar Rush Stripey peppers sprout! That one is SO gorgeous and all the reviews for flavor of Sugar Rush are fluorescent.

Jack Holloway

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Well, I've planted almost all of them! I gave them the royal treatment - freshly scrubbed pots, a dunk in some hot water with some bleach added (which I never do because I'm a lazy gardener), organic potting soil and some two day rested water for the finale. Then onto a cozy heating mat, with individual tops for each pot. Fingers crossed! 🤞 I hope they all sprout, but I REALLY hope the Sugar Rush Stripey peppers sprout! That one is SO gorgeous and all the reviews for flavor of Sugar Rush are fluorescent.
You went all out! The Sugar Rush Stripey is fresh seed, so some should sprout.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score

Let me know how they get on! I'm curious about the flavor too.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
Found some new peas today! Sugar Lace II I've tried before (and failed, twice) but the other two I've never seen before. Yay, I love new varieties to try, especially container types!
20230208_202351.jpg
I've grown Sugar Lace II; it seems to prefer being planted later, in warmer soil. The seeds don't seem to be very long-lived either... I'm curious whether seed longevity & germination would improve with home-saved seed. It has done really well for me planted in late Summer for Fall harvest - and planted that way, the pods are large & high quality. But of course, saving seed is pretty much impossible planted that late. One of the experiments that got canceled last year was to stagger small plantings of Sugar Lace II, in search of an optimal planting date for seed saving. Haven't even started garden planning yet, but I hope to fit that experiment in this year.

heirloomgal

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I'm curious whether seed longevity & germination would improve with home-saved seed.
I'm not sure @Zeedman , but I can say this - the 1st time I grew them I managed to get 2 plants to sprout. I saved seeds from those plants and I think I got another 2 plants to sprout. 🤷‍♀️ That said, I tend to be a very early planter when it comes to peas and I've had similar troubles with Sugar Ann. They both just taste SO GOOD when you can actually get them to grow! I suspect they are both uniquely sensitive; wrinkled peas tend to be like that anyway, but these have been another level. I actually don't know why I'm even trying them for a 3rd time, I guess it's my inner terrier!

Latest posts