A Suggestion of Frost

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't find anyplace to type in an address, @ninnymary .

Zoom out, waaay out ... move the map to center over your neck of the woods ... zoom in and center map ... zoom and center ... until you are over the top of your house.

By this time you may have markers all across the USA. The rest of the country allows the Bay Area to be a part of the nation because you've got so many smart people ... Anyway, you've probably "cleared" the map several times to delete those markers. Clear and click your back steps, then get back to us.

I'll tell you what, a hundred feet can make a lot of difference in growing plants. Gets real noticeable in hills and mountains.

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
That link showed the elevation here as 1230'. When we moved here we got a topo map of the county so I checked it against that 1230. The topo map shows 10' contours so I can't get to the hundredth of a foot but it's real close. To me, that link has credibility. I know I'm cynical but I like to check these things.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Ha!

You know what I did? I checked the ".nu" in the web address :).

Wikipedia says that it is for a Pacific island nation AND people in Scandinavia and the Netherlands like to use it because it is their word for "new." The English on the website has errors ...

Steve
given his problems with English, didn't notify webmaster :rolleyes:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yay I did it! Thanks Steve. I was surprised that the first time I put the marker it was right in my block. Maybe I should play pin the tail on the donkey! I don't know why, but it seemed like I started somewhere in the midwest and it took forever to get to California. Only a foot difference between my front and back yard. Of course, my husband who helped me said he could have told me that. :mad:

Mary

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Oh fun! 3206' in the front yard, and 3201' in the back yard.
Can you New Englanders imagine being at Heather's elevation in your corner of the country?

You probably wouldn't really have any frost-free season! I'm not quite sure how western Montana does. The protected mountain valleys run north and south - that's the only way that I can think of for how they have a growing season!

A garden at 3,200 feet around here ... maybe I could grow juniper berries for the gin I'd be distilling to try to keep me happy o_O.

Steve

Latest posts