Amaryllis

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
The seeds from my cross have been floating in a bowl of water for a few weeks now, and most of them germinated-- so I figured I had better get them planted before they rot. I placed them in two pots outdoors for some summer sunshine. In a few months we will see how many survive. My past experience suggests that half or more will perish along the way
I grew out my seeds years ago. But if I recall the best germination came from planting them on edge with some of the papery substance sticking out. Google it to check my memory.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I grew out my seeds years ago. But if I recall the best germination came from planting them on edge with some of the papery substance sticking out. Google it to check my memory.
That is indeed the way to do it. I did a circle around the edge of each pot, and had a few sprouts leftover that I planted in the centre of the pot. The brown papery seed coat is still firmly attached; maybe it is there to shade the small shoot while it puts down roots?

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is indeed the way to do it. I did a circle around the edge of each pot, and had a few sprouts leftover that I planted in the centre of the pot. The brown papery seed coat is still firmly attached; maybe it is there to shade the small shoot while it puts down roots?
By bulbs are so huge at this point. I have many in big pots. I may have to take some out and add new pots. But When they are not in bloom I get mad at the room they take up indoors. But when in bloom.....

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
I've had several pots of amaryllis sitting on my front door step, and after some encouragement from catjac I finally got them cleaned up a bit so I can bring the bulbs indoors. Many of them were infested with what looks like mealy bugs, so I removed some of the affected plant material. There was also some mushy reddish debris on the basal plates, which got washed off with a strong jet of water from the garden hose. I think I will let most of the bulbs sit in the dark basement for a few weeks to dry down, and then after the holidays I can pot them up. The clump with lots of green leaves is called Benfina, and it has many bulblets forming around the main bulb. There were no mealy bugs visible on that variety; I think I will replant that bunch right away, so it can keep growing.

Two pots had small bulbs that I had started from seed several years ago. Based on the top growth that was visible I was expecting just one or two bulbs per container, but when I tipped the dirt out I found lots of bulbs in each pot. Go figure! Growing amaryllis from seed have given me a whole new appreciation for these slow growing bulbs.

Attachments

• IMG_20231217_150000259.jpg
    IMG_20231217_150000259.jpg
    201.1 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_20231217_145956186.jpg
    IMG_20231217_145956186.jpg
    172.6 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20231217_124633601.jpg
    IMG_20231217_124633601.jpg
    350.1 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_20231217_124658755.jpg
    IMG_20231217_124658755.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 29
Last edited:

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've had several pots of amaryllis sitting on my front door step, and after some encouragement from catjac I finally got them cleaned up a bit so I can bring the bulbs indoors. Many of them were infested with what looks like mealy bugs, so I removed some of the affected plant material. There was also some mushy reddish debris on the basal plates, which got washed off with a strong jet of water from the garden hose. I think I will let most of the bulbs sit in the dark basement for a few weeks to dry down, and then after the holidays I can pot them up. The clump with lots of green leaves is called Benfina, and it has many bulblets forming around the main bulb. There were no mealy bugs visible on that variety; I think I will replant that bunch right away, so it can keep growing.

Two pots had small bulbs that I had started from seed several years ago. Based on the top growth that was visible I was expecting just one or two bulbs per container, but when I tipped the dirt out I found lots of bulbs in each pot. Go figure! Growing amaryllis from seed have given me a whole new appreciation for these slow growing bulbs.
This is the first time, in I'm going to guess 20 years, that I every repotted my seed grown Amaryllis. I did it so that the few that were small would have more room to grow.They were in the same pots all of there years. I switched from lovely but heavy clay pots to all plastic. Tired of lifting the pots or asking for help. I would let them dry in the pots and then rehydrate after the foliage died back. They are looking healthy and I will patiently wait for them to bloom.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I have the pretty amaryllis that DD Thinks that she killed. I repotted it in potting mix and watered it well, set it on my kitchen counter right above the radiator. Didn't grow, still a little bit green, so "wick?"
Yesterday, I Finally repotted my potbound basil (store bought), and knocked the dirt off of the amaryllis to put in a small pot and it's side in the dark in the basement.
I saw 2 tiny little roots on it.
I think it best to forget about it for awhile and let it decided to live. If so, it's close to my indoor growing setup and I'll notice,
When Mid American Gardener puts up their episode with Amaryllis advice, I will post the link here.

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
All of my amaryllis bulbs are dormant, lounging on their sides in our dark basement. As long as they look okay I hope to keep them there until Valentine's Day, when our day length increases beyond the 10 hour mark and plants really take off growing again. For many years I have always had lots of amaryllis blooming in the living room during the winter, and with them there have been clouds of fungus gnats that really annoy me. My thinking is that if I start the amaryllis a bit later and they become infested I will be able to punt them outdoors. By March it will be warm enough for them to survive in my high tunnel if necessary. And thank you again catjac for giving me a nudge to clean the bulbs up so I could bring them indoors. I don't think I would have managed that without some encouragement. ;)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
if i'm not repotting them i leave them right in the pot where they've been growing, i don't even put them away.

when you stop water them they will go dormant.

when you start watering them again they will start growing again, but sometimes if you wait longer before you water them they may start to grow anyways when it gets warmer and more light comes along.

my amaryllis are just now finishing up losing all of their leaves (we've had the house a little warmer this year) and i'll start watering half of them again in a few weeks. three weeks later i'll water the 2nd half. i'm trying to find the right timing to have flowers for most of March. maybe i'll need three batches...

Branching Out

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Starting them in waves sounds like a good strategy flowerbug-- it's nice to be able to stretch out the blossoms over several weeks. I had my amaryllis outside for the summer and they became infested with what I believe to be mealy bugs. That gave me no choice but to remove the soil, and then I rinsed them off as best I could before I brought them inside for the winter.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

it is made to be moved by air and water and eventually will get lodged into a crack or gap where it can sprout.