AMKuska's 2018 Garden

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Cleaned out my greenhouse today. :) It looks so nice when the floor isn't covered in dirt.
IMG_0387.JPG
IMG_0388.JPG

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
He's still taking care of them. They are a foot tall already. Dad asked if I'd been watering them for him. He found it hard to believe the boy who can't remember to put underwear on in the morning can take such good care of his garden.

Not only does he water, he even talks to them while doing so. He asks if they like the water, and would they care for a little more?

<3
He is precious. I know he brings a huge joy to your life. Nothing like seeing the world through the eyes of a child. At one time, you posted that he wanted to play the violin. Does he still play?

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule No, there was only one teacher in the area. One day we went for our regular lesson, but he was not at home/didn't answer calls or texts. The landlord saw me and stopped by. Apparently he was arrested. I have no idea what he could have done. He was such a wonderful and patient person. :(

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule No, there was only one teacher in the area. One day we went for our regular lesson, but he was not at home/didn't answer calls or texts. The landlord saw me and stopped by. Apparently he was arrested. I have no idea what he could have done. He was such a wonderful and patient person. :(
Does he still try to play? What about contacting a high school music teacher to see if he/she would give lessons? He just seemed to want to play so badly. Too bad about the teacher getting arrested.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
No, he doesn't want to play without a teacher. I have contacted all the local schools, and even asked if there was someone who just knew how to play a little bit who could spend time with him on it. Even a student is fine. No deal. The local music shop has violen lessons, but they're $150 per hour. I just can't afford that. :(

At present, his paid activity is swim lessons. Since Emily died my major concern has been thinking of all the awful ways he could kill himself and mitigating them. He doesn't like them as much, but I feel better seeing him able to paddle to a wall and pull himself up. Not that he's frequently near large bodies of water.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
The deer showed up again this week. I happened to see them through my fish tank (it's curved so I can see in both directions by glancing into the reflection.) They walked straight across my lawn in broad daylight. I yelled for my husband to come out and help me chase the deer off, and we ran out fully expecting to see them in the garden.

They weren't. They gave my garden a wide birth, walked across my neighbors lawn, and around to her vegetable garden. We got the deer out successfully, and scratched our heads as to why they weren't interested in my garden.

Well today, I found out why.

Last time they were in my garden they ate one (and only one) drago cabbage. The other one was looking mighty fine, so I took it in to make cole slaw with it, and happened to taste a leaf. It promptly went to the chickens, who also didn't want to eat it. What a horrible flavor!

The moral of the story being, if you want deer to leave your garden alone...make them eat nasty cabbage lol

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i've never tried those, but i love strong cabbage flavors... wondering/curious though if you just pulled off outer leaf to taste it instead of using more of the center part to try? those do tend to be more bitter/chewy/etc.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I actually did try the outside first. :3 But even the chickens wouldn't eat it, so I assume it was bitter all the way through.

Neighbors and I had a pow-wow about the deer. The neighbor two doors down suggested a bow hunter could take care of the deer issue without potentially harming any homes/kids.

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
I actually did try the outside first. :3 But even the chickens wouldn't eat it, so I assume it was bitter all the way through.

Neighbors and I had a pow-wow about the deer. The neighbor two doors down suggested a bow hunter could take care of the deer issue without potentially harming any homes/kids.
Great idea even Westchester where I live allow bow hunting in certain places