AMKuska's 2019 Garden Thread

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congrats on running the 5K, especially pushing a stroller!

I hope your check shows up tomorrow. #$%%%^&%^@ insurance companies! :duc

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Congradulations on a job well done!

I did a Spartan race a few years ago. Just be forewarned, it is brutal.

Mary

WHAT?? Mary! Every detail!! *Scoots forward*

Congrats on running the 5K, especially pushing a stroller!

I hope your check shows up tomorrow. #$%%%^&%^@ insurance companies! :duc

Me too! There's a hole in my roof and if it gets worse because the mortgage company is sitting on their hands I'm going to be so peeved.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really don't want to scare you. I figured you can do whatever you can at your own pace. But it's very competive. We had lots of running up and down the baseball seats. That was the easy part. We had to do a rope climb. Not everyone can do those. Bear crawls under a netted grid. Monkey bars that were spaced very far apart. Wall climbs were the only ones where a team member could help you. We had an ex arm guy and my cousin and I had to stand on his shoulders to get over the wall, and other stuff. If you can't do a certain part, you can do burpees which everyone hates Lol. We did it in a team of 3 so it was nice cheering each other on.

There are actually 3 Spartan races to make a trivecta. My cousin who is 57 has done all three. The last one is brutal and was in the LA outskirts. It was freezing in the morning, super hot in the day, and freezing again in the evening. That one took all day.

Try googling or utube to see if you can find one to see what it entails.

Mary

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
The YouTube videos are actually what inspired me to try it!

I don't have a rope to practice climbing on, but there's a pole at the park that someone showed me how to do the J hook on, and she said it'd be easier to do a rope then a pole.

I've been practicing on the park monkey bars and yesterday I was able to do 10 skipping every other bar to mimic the width of the poles I saw in the videos.

I don't have a wall to practice on, but I've been doing pull-ups etc to try and help. I've also got a hay bale and made my own spear, started toting around feed bags for the atlas carry and the bucket brigade, and it's a small thing but--when I'm in the store and stuff I carry my daughter in her car seat when ever possible. I figure it's doing something for my arms.

Last edited:

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are all good things that you are doing in order to get ready. There is a technique for the rope climbs. I've been doing Crossfit for 8 years now and only about 1 in 5 of us can do them. I'm one of them. ;) Keep training for it. It will be fun. I did my Spartan race with a Groupon. The Groupon people had a later starting time. I think it was after 12:00.

Mary

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are all good things that you are doing in order to get ready. There is a technique for the rope climbs. I've been doing Crossfit for 8 years now and only about 1 in 5 of us can do them. I'm one of them. ;) Keep training for it. It will be fun. I did my Spartan race with a Groupon. The Groupon people had a later starting time. I think it was after 12:00.

Mary

I got my ticket black friday :D Wow! Crossfit? You must be incredibly strong!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
They are kind of proud of the rope they climb aren't they, $70. I was checking to see if it had knots or was a straight rope. No knots, that would make it too easy. Over 50 years ago I had an opportunity to climb a knotted rope and made it all the way to the top on my first try. I doubt I could have with an unknotted rope. Be careful on the way back down. Don't slide or you will blister your hands.

I was at my Granddaughter's gymnastics class last Friday. A couple of older girls were there, probably high school age, maybe college. One just took hold of the rope, stuck her feet out in front of her, and used pure arm strength to go to the top and ring the bell. Impressive. After the gymnastics class was over the other older girl was showing one of the instructors a foot grip for climbing the rope.

I have to admit I'm impressed that you are even willing to try a Spartan run. That takes courage.