AMKuska's 2022 Garden

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yeah, I'm worried about being able to get stuff. We aren't going out though. Our son has offered to pick things up, but I'm a little overwhelmed with making the list (and don't want to impose). 😟

Aww, you're son is so sweet! Perhaps accept the offer, and have cookies ready for him? That always seems to work no matter what the age. ;-)

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
My husband surprised me with a gigantic raised garden bed--he built me a brooder when we had chicks last year, and then dragged it out and tada! Raised garden bed. I'm so excited!! I have so much space. There's sooooo much growing room now. Can't wait to start plopping things in there!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
According to my seed packets, this is the earliest day my peppers could possibly sprout. They have not. Last year I didn't realize it could take as much as a month for peppers to emerge and planted them the same time as my tomatoes. I'm really glad I started them early, and hope they'll be at least a couple inches tall by the time I start my tomatoes.

It sure doesn't feel like planting weather here. It's sooo cold and there's dense fog that freezes your lungs when ever you go out. It feels like it will never be warm again.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
AMKuska, it's 18° here and the distant airport is once again noting visibility at .06 of a mile.

However! A day after I complained about our days and days of fog and overcast on TEG, the sun came out. Yes, on this side of the mountains we had one sunny day!

I had measured the shadow of a 72” object at noon just before the winter solstice: It was 209" long. Yesterday, finally having sunshine at “high noon,” it was 162” long. So, the days are longer and the shadows are shorter 😁.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Agreed; temperature tends to lag behind the increase/decrease in solar energy.
When days begin to lengthen, cold begins to strengthen
Days begin to shorten, heat comes a courtin'

i just think of it in terms of thermal mass, heat transfer and convection currents. in layman terms, it takes a while...

Latest posts