AMKuska's 2022 Garden

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Went to the store to get more dirt and compost -- didn't quite get enough with the new raised garden bed to fill. It was a bit of a struggle. My flat bed cart had a wheel that wouldn't work, so I couldn't get it to go where I wanted even without dirt. The front-door-watcher of the store laughed, but didn't offer any help.

Went to get another flat bed, the door is one way.

Found an abandoned flat bed in the garden area, loaded up, and dragged across the entire stretch of the store. Pushing 20 cubic feet of dirt + a toddler is hard going forward, but turning to get in line was a problem! Luckily a stranger in line helped me turn it so we could get in line.

Thanks be to strangers for their kindness and mercy.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
You are right! Thanks for the kindness of strangers! Congratulations on the new raised bed, your husband is a brilliant man-he knows what makes good gifts!
Brilliant indeed. It is truly Master Level skill for a husband to give his wife an empty box, - and turn it into a great gift. We gardeners are an odd bunch. :lol:

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Brilliant indeed. It is truly Master Level skill for a husband to give his wife an empty box, - and turn it into a great gift. We gardeners are an odd bunch. :lol:
A used empty box. ;-) Remember it was also a brooder before. Still, the layers of appreciation that go into that box are months deep. I was really in a pickle when he first made that because one of the black hens nested in the shadowy corner of the chicken coop, and came proudly out of it one day with a dozen chicks. Mortality rate when mom cares for them is 99.9%.

As I was scrambling to figure out where to put them so they'd survive, he casually went out, picked up some old scraps in our unused wood pile, and scrambled them together into a spacious, beautiful brooder that kept them all safe till they were big and strong! They all would have died without him.

After they grew up, it was just sitting around in the side yard taking up space, but now he's got it moved to the perfect spot to do yet more awesome things. :D

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Only 2 peppers up so far on the bell pepper side, nothing on the Hungarian Hotwax side. I went ahead and got some seeds soaking in a bowl on the counter to try and get replacements going. I have regrets.

There is a stool pushed up to the counter. The seeds/bowl is completely missing, and there is dirt and obvious rummaging in my greenhouse. I suspect a Small Person did some creative planting in there, and I'm going to find bell peppers hanging out of everything in a few weeks. :th

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Took the kids up to a reforestation project nearby to help plant trees. I warned the forester in charge of the project anything my daughter touched was going to grow huge. XD We got to name what ever we planted. Her plant was "Rainbow."

My son named two of his plants Michael and Michelle. Hopefully they do well!

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I believe the Hungarian Hotwax and bell peppers--aside from the two sprouts--have failed. It's been just about a month and no sign of any growth at all. I decided to just go ahead and get my cold weather crops started, and to my surprise found 2 more bell pepper packages. Flavorburst f1 and another bell pepper. These were packed for 2022 so I know I bought them recently, but don't remember at all.

Apparently the ones I planted were from 2019, so no wonder they didn't sprout well. :th

Latest posts