AMKuska's 2022 Garden

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hi Meadow! I actually also live in Western Washington, near Puyallup. :) My pampered peppers live in a grow tent with their own lights, a heat lamp, AND a heating pad. It's not a summer day in there or anything, but temps should be pepper friendly.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
@AMKuska, I CANNOT figure out HOW I have kept 15 sweet bell peppers, that I originally planted last MAY (2021) alive, but they are slowly growing on top of a heat mat and heat a gro light with a clear cover for humidity, in my 53 degree F basement. 3 have even flowered.
ALL I KNOW from my recent studies is that ALL seeds want good heat to sprout, then good light, even the cool weather crops. I have been studying up on starting a Fall garden. I Almost got it in last year, but I got too busy and I am sorry that I didn't try late since our Fall stayed pretty warm here.
Local (U of Illinois extension) had a webinar last year on growing in the Fall and most crops (here) MUST be started in August. As You know we can get our hottest weather then, but the host said that they need that heat to start. She also said that you can harvest many after a freeze, and that they will be sweeter after being frosted.
I have heard over and over again that Brussels Sprouts are bitter when grown/harvested in the Spring, so why bother? :hu
I planted the entire package of sweet bell peppers that I had bought in January, 2021 from High Mowing. None sprouted. The ones growing downstairs now were from a cheap package that I had. I attribute the failure from my lack of expertise bc High Mowing had a good reputation.
It's all a learning curve and you NEVER KNOW if you will be successful, so trying something new is a good experiment, especially when it works.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Seems like 4 things are consistent:
1) soak the seeds overnight, even using weak chamomile tea
2) do not plant discolored seeds, choose the best looking seeds to start
3) keep the seeds Warm, like 80 degrees F or higher
4) be patient and don't put them in the garden too soon
I have had garden success with peppers that were 4-5 inches or larger, and even THEN, I found I was soaking them for a good week before they could "walk" on their own AND I watered from above
One MORE thought, use Warm water so you don't shock the tender seedlings
I think my failure had to do with not warm enough to germinate.
Btw, I have Never had success with expandable pots, but you may have done better than me with them.
Hope this helps!

Last edited:

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
Once they are up and doing well, I have heard This advice about pruning peppers from many others.
Also I Have round tomato cages but in my experience they are much better used to cage sweet peppers.

meadow

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Hi Meadow! I actually also live in Western Washington, near Puyallup. :) My pampered peppers live in a grow tent with their own lights, a heat lamp, AND a heating pad. It's not a summer day in there or anything, but temps should be pepper friendly.
Lol! That should have done it! Like their own little island getaway.

🌴😎🥳

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
@digitS' I always smile when I see a reply to one of my posts from you. You've never failed to give me top quality advice. I am soaking the seeds overnight, but have not tried the chamomile tea trick. As it happens I have some chamomile grown from my garden last year! I'll give it a go and report the results.

Got my broccoli planted today. I'll wait till my daughter is up from nap to do the onions, as she caught me gardening without her yesterday and was so mad. She folded her arms in a big dramatic pout and turned her back on me to let me know how unfair I was.

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yep, my daughter was definitely busy planting pepper seeds all over the greenhouse. -.- Found 2 pepper seedling sprouts from the 2019 packet growing out of a dome for a seedling tray, inverted with dirt sprinkled in it.

Broccoli and cabbage are up and looking healthy. Planted leeks today. :)

AMKuska

Garden Master
Reaction score
I haven't started my leeks yet.
Advice?
I've only grown them once before. I recall they did grow rather impressively, but I don't recall what I did or how to get them there. The only tips I've gleaned is that they need a lot of water and nitrogen, and they're not especially picky about temperature etc.

Latest posts