Any handy tips for getting rid of smoke smell?

canesisters

Garden Master
Reaction score
When I installed the gas range I had to adjust the flame on each burner. What I did was turn the burner on to low then pull the knob off and there is a small screwdriver slot in the stem and you adjust flame down until it is barely visible and that it on each burner. You adjust the low end so you can simmer and and keep things warm without burning. I not sure what hi flame is for lol, maybe just for scorching pans. DW wanted to get gas range to help with canning and it will surely be a super upgrade for that. Also the oven has convection setting, which bakes much faster and more even. We have always had electric so the gas is a whole new world for her to learn and she love it already.

.......Adjust the flame.... wait.. SERIOUSLY!!!!!! o_O
I have not had a 'simmer' since moving into this house!! :barnie I was told that it was "just how propane is" and that the only way to fix it would be to "buy a better (more expensive) stove" :somad You're telling me that a simple, 5min adjustment could have saved me from a DECADE of burnt pans!?!?!!?!? :barnie:rant:hit

... guess what I'm doing tonight after milking... :fl

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
weeds dont bother me my garden fill of them. On a creative day I call them wildflowers. But I will spray the hell out of poison ivy. Yep I have the gallon container of round up, and have no guilt spraying PI. Don't judge me till you sat in ER waiting for some kind of relief.
AGREED!!! I have a patch that needs killing. Think I'll attack it with some more cardboard. =b

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
.......Adjust the flame.... wait.. SERIOUSLY!!!!!! o_O
I have not had a 'simmer' since moving into this house!! :barnie I was told that it was "just how propane is" and that the only way to fix it would be to "buy a better (more expensive) stove" :somad You're telling me that a simple, 5min adjustment could have saved me from a DECADE of burnt pans!?!?!!?!? :barnie:rant:hit

... guess what I'm doing tonight after milking... :fl

Yes the flame is adjustable, they come from factory set for natural gas, must be adjusted for propane. If you can find a make and model # you can probably find it on you tube. On ours it is the stem that the knob fits, I think it might be the same on most of them. Try moving it to low and pulling off knob see if there a small screwdriver slot and turn it down until barely a visible flame and that's it.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
AGREED!!! I have a patch that needs killing. Think I'll attack it with some more cardboard. =b

i cleared the north hedge of it without using sprays. i'm so reactive i have to be pretty careful. i use a weed stick that has a V shaped end so i can get the vine and roots cut off without touching any of it. i'm really careful of making sure not to walk back over any areas i've been working on (only going one way through the space). i leave the pieces on top of the ground to dry out. usually they don't regrow easily or fast enough now that i can usually just check the whole area out once every other year.

when done with the poky stick i wrap it with a rag and never reuse the rag, just throw it away carefully at the bottom of the trash bag. store the poky stick with the rag wrapped end carefully until next time.

just takes some forethought, planning and care. it grows slowly enough that time and consistency will get the job done.

when i started here the north hedge had it scattered throughout along with poison sumac (which was much harder to deal with IMO) and wild grape vines.

at the moment i'm more worried about the dead tree in there falling on me. i don't go in there much at all anyways. pick up trash once in a while and cut out wild grape vines, poke at whatever poison ivy i can find. no more sumac at all.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes the flame is adjustable, they come from factory set for natural gas, must be adjusted for propane. If you can find a make and model # you can probably find it on you tube. On ours it is the stem that the knob fits, I think it might be the same on most of them. Try moving it to low and pulling off knob see if there a small screwdriver slot and turn it down until barely a visible flame and that's it.
They used a different orrifice on our LP vs natural gas.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
They used a different orrifice on our LP vs natural gas.

Yes I changed all orifices including oven and broiler, after changing orifices the directions required the flame will need adjusting. I watched a couple you tube videos on it and they said lots of times the orifices get changed and flame not adjusted and that is one of the largest complaints, can't turn down flame enough to simmer.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Okay. Air freshener and fabric softener.

I found recipes. They were in metric but I believe that I came up with equivalent proportions and converted to Colonial Units. Maybe someone will want to give them a try. Remember what happens when you mix Apple Cider Vinegar and Baking Soda. You would probably be best to do that in a large bowl. Certainly, before you pour the mixture in a spray bottle.

Natural ingredients for fabric softener

Ingredients

1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup hot water
2 cups ACV
12 drops of your favorite essential oil

Preparation

Pour water in a large plastic container, then add the apple cider vinegar and baking soda and wait for the reaction to pass. Transfer the mixture into a spray bottle and keep it in a cool dark place. To use: Spray soiled clothes thoroughly, allow to soak a few minutes, wash as usual.

natural fragrance as air freshener

Ingredients

1 tablespoon of baking soda
3 cups of lukewarm water
3 tablespoons of fabric softener

:hu Steve

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Old trick for dogs that smell or owner has allergy problems. One part Downy fabric softener to 10 parts water in spray bottle, mix well lightly mist dog careful not to get any in eyes. Will make dog smell like downy. It will also trap skin dander to dogs body not in air being breathed

Latest posts