Any handy tips for getting rid of smoke smell?

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Can't get a burning desire for a gas stove. I like electric and keep hoping that a super affordable alternative electric fuel is discovered in my lifetime.
Right now I have a quart of tomatoes + 1 quart of water + pinto beans + rehydrating sweet peppers cooking in the crockpot. It is overpowering every other odor in the house. (4 chili 4 da SUPERbowl tomorrow.)

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've had both electric and gas about evenly divided between the past 40 years. Grew up with gas but didn't actually cook on it much.
I much prefer gas. It's so easy to regulate, and when it's off it's off, that burner doesn't keep cooking. Plus it's usable during a power outage.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've had both electric and gas about evenly divided between the past 40 years. Grew up with gas but didn't actually cook on it much.
I much prefer gas. It's so easy to regulate, and when it's off it's off, that burner doesn't keep cooking. Plus it's usable during a power outage.
I agree we both grew up with electric and have always had electric stoves. This gas range is showing it worth quickly around here.

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score

and you can still burn toast on a gas stove.......
images.jpeg

they do say you need some carbon in your diet anyway ......:lol::lol:

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
and you can still burn toast on a gas stove.......
View attachment 24336
they do say you need some carbon in your diet anyway ......:lol::lol:

I haven't yet burned toast on top of my stove...
in the broiler, yes.
Thanks for expanding my flammables horizon Major.

Speaking of carbon, my MIL talks about how DH's dad loved burnt toast (and cookies). She would always be embarrassed when on a Saturday morning his pigeon racing buddies came over and she would serve him 2 very black slices of toast on a plate.
That along with her cigarette habit made their house smell like the inside of a charcoal bbq grill.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
Agree , would love to have a gas stove for those reasons.

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom I keep wondering why the smoke detectors did not alert you before the smoke was that bad? You do have detectors in working order, right? If not PLEASE get them. After our kitchen fire (alarms where blaring when Fire Dept. arrived) but We where not home. The new detectors are hard wired and when one goes off they ALL go off ! LOUD

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
@thistlebloom I keep wondering why the smoke detectors did not alert you before the smoke was that bad? You do have detectors in working order, right? If not PLEASE get them. After our kitchen fire (alarms where blaring when Fire Dept. arrived) but We where not home. The new detectors are hard wired and when one goes off they ALL go off ! LOUD

really............................ charging those yuppies 80k a month and cant afford a 9 volt battery for smoke detector... hummm

images (1).jpeg

Last edited:

Latest posts