Anybody like carrots

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have used a wooden board a couple of times.

Carrot seed takes as long as 3 weeks to germinate. At 1/4" deep, they are very prone to drying out in my gardens o_O ... under that board, outta sight, outta mind ...

Pelleted seed makes a world of sense for carrots. Stokes Seed has a good selection.

why-you-should-try-pelleted-seeds

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
takes a while and likes cooler weather is all i know. i don't grow them often here. just not much good carrot soil here and outside the fences they get eaten down to the nubs...

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
juicing...reminds me of a boss - he had his admin juice him carrots every morning, and after a few weeks, the palms of his hands and more were turning orange. He was horrified and quit that habit! haha

Rhodie Ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Amarillo Carrots? I lived in Amarillo, 2nd, 3rd grade off base and 4th on base. Baby bro was born there. Amarillo AFB (SAC command) is no longer there. I tried to find it on our trip to Arkansas a few years ago.

HmooseK

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Germination is my problem. I never kept them covered, might try that.

I would try that and see if it helps. Wet the cardboard till it's water logged and everyday check it and keep it moist. It does take a long time for them to germinate so you have to have patience.

Unless you have delicate, soft soil, I would grow in raised bed or a container.

Don't laugh too loud, but I glue my seeds to toilet paper to plant them. It's not my original idea, but I've been doing it this way for over 10 years and it works for me.

I used a few pelleted seeds as well this year and I do like the simplicity of them.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
Glue your seeds to toilet paper?!

I tried that but the paper blew away! I had the most difficult time with it ... and, chasing toilet paper through the neighbor's yard isn't the most dignified behavior ...

Yeah, my present garden soil isn't much good for carrots. On a sandy garden soil, I could grow them like a boss, with an administrative assistant to do my work for me ;). In my pea gravel garden, they did okay and true especially for baby carrots ... but, DW doesn't like anything but super long ... With the soil I have now for them, even the 6" variety would have a tuff time negotiating around the rocks.

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I would try that and see if it helps. Wet the cardboard till it's water logged and everyday check it and keep it moist. It does take a long time for them to germinate so you have to have patience.

Unless you have delicate, soft soil, I would grow in raised bed or a container.

Don't laugh too loud, but I glue my seeds to toilet paper to plant them. It's not my original idea, but I've been doing it this way for over 10 years and it works for me.

I used a few pelleted seeds as well this year and I do like the simplicity of them.

i thought of doing that too as TP falls apart so easily once wet. using a bit of corn syrup and toothpick and then sprinkle seeds and let dry. never actually tried it. i have way too many onion seeds as it is to worry about fine spacing details. :)

so lucky

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've never done well with carrots. Soil has too much clay, and the carrots grow gnarly, and don't taste very good.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I tried the homemade seed tapes.... made tons of them with lettuce, carrot, etc. seeds last year. Not a single seed germinated. Lettuce seed, mind you, which germinates if you spit on it.

Never do that again.

Latest posts