Anyone Make Tea From Their Garden ?

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Actually, the flowers of a lot of hibiscuses (hibiscii?) are used for tea, often as a sleep aid.

Actually, I have one growing, roselle, Hibiscus sabdariffa, the one used to make the drink sorrel. Though mine is an experiment (I got my hands on seed for a version that can be green as well as the more normal dark red, and am planning to find out this winter* if it makes a similar drink**.)

*Roselle doesn't flower here until very very late, too late to avoid the frost. But I planted it in a pot, so I can take it in, and I know how to pollinate hibiscuses from the time I raised kenaf.)

** though presumably not as healthy, as that red stuff is where all the antioxidents are.
Do you want some they do very well here

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
No thanks.

Fact is they do a little TOO well here. Around my part of the county, Rose of Sharon is almost WEEDY (I've literally seen it growing in places like bogs and lakes where it would have to have seeded itself. And I don;t have room for anything that big.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I send you some when weather cools
Thanks! What color do you have? I used to have purple ones and white ones. The lady across the street gave them to me, she was in her 80's and I enjoyed her so much. She had lots of flowers and didn't mind a kid hanging out with her. She gave me flowers and I planted them in our yard.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I have been happy with anise hyssop and lemon verbena.

A couple of years ago, I bought seed for lemon bergamot. It's a monarda, I guess you could say - native to North America. It grows lots of places. Now, it's in my yard ;).

Tried it by itself. Too strong! Tried the flowers with anise hyssop flowers. Too strong! I've got the leaves of both, about 2:1 favoring the anise hyssop. Not bad. Smells real good :). They are related plants. I'm curious if you know about this as a wild plant.

There is a anise verbena :D . I could flip my species here and still do the one from column A, one from column B. Or with 4 different plants, both from one column or t'other ;). But ... I think I appreciate the lemon verbena too much. Just a real nice, soothing flavor. Lemongrass, no. Lemon balm, no. Lemon basil, not for tea.

At least my 2018 anise hyssop plant looks like it will mature seed before frost. Should be good to go in 2019 :).

Steve

Latest posts