Garden Master
Reaction score
Screenshot_2021-04-25-12-02-28_kindlephoto-33774963.png

I'll start.

Steve

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
I've had 28 for sure that I know of. There have been a few times I just wasn't sure what it was so maybe more.

Nine of those I've cooked or made. Four I've shot or caught.

I'll admit living in Cajun Country gave me some advantages. And working overseas and some time in the army overseas ticked many boxes. Going to a Robert Burns party hosted by a bunch of Scots when we were in Copenhagen was a definite for Haggis. Smoked eel when working in an offshore work barge with a Dutch crew put smoked eel on my list but I only tried that once. That was plenty. That was actually one time too many.

Last edited:

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I've eaten 12. I really enjoy sauerkraut and snails in garlic there's not a lot of people I know that will touch either. But I've always been a little different :\

Last edited:

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I feel a little strange admitting to some of the things that I have eaten ... @Marie2020 , the one time that I had snail, I couldn't taste anything except garlic! If you like sauerkraut, and can take a little spiciness, you may like kim chi.

I don't know about possum, raccoon, and beavers @Alasgun but I think that duck is always in our supermarkets. There were just a couple of quail across the road a minute ago, tormented by a neighbor's cat - there are probably too many cats nearby to get back to when quail were daily in our yard. Of course, they were once daily in my garage - the domestic Coturnix quail. They were little egg-laying machines!

Blue cheese? Adventurous? I used to live in a part of California dairy country and had lots of interesting cheeses! Liederkranz became a favorite and I fully understand that not everyone will like Limburger and Liederkranz.

These aren't the sort of things that I would be shy about - maybe, the Spam but that's on the shelves, also ;). Ya know, tripe is not only common in Mexican dishes but also an ingredient in several canned soups. You might be surprised! Eating with Southeast Asian families has, at times, been an interesting experience. Once, I was invited to dinner right after a cow had been butchered. The men ate first so I'm trying to finish and move out of the ladies' way. There's some sort of combination meat and vegetable dish. The vegetable seems kinda like "grass." Didn't taste bad, well cooked ... finishing it quickly, I realize the meat is tripe ... and the "grass?" Well of course, it's grass (from the same part of the cow ;))!

Steve

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
i don't remember everything but i'd say about 30 and perhaps a few more as it is easier to think of what i've not tried vs what i have. some i may have had as a kid (squirrel) and all sorts of stuff comes in head cheese so pigs ears in there perhaps...

of all of those there's only a few i haven't had that i'd like to try (rattlesnake and durian).

i have no desire to try sea urchin, century egg or chicken feet and razor clams are probably enough like regular clams so i'd not have that very high on my list either.

i have had grasshoppers but not crickets. have you had both to compare?

cheeses, i've had some that most people don't like because they smell really strong. i think blue cheese is common.

Latest posts