At The Table

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I really like some brands of wild caught sardines in olive oil. They are tasty with crackers! I wouldn't be able to eat them in a competition though as more than one can would make me sick! :)

lightly smoked in oil is my favorite way to have them, but i've eaten them so many ways that i really don't mind how they're done. i guess i would not like them in my rice pudding but perhaps i'd eat that too if i were hungry enough. :)

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Speaking of odd things at the table.....

A few weeks ago, I bought a package of country ham (as in prosciutto type ham) from my local cheese shop. On the instructions it said "cook to 165 degrees" So I did even though I have NEVER heard of HAVING to cook country ham. As I suspected it came out terrible, a dry super salty mess.

So when I went back, I mentioned this, and they were as baffled as I was why they would include such a instruction. They assured me that the ham was as edible uncooked as any other country ham and I got another pack. Not saying I LIKED it (even raw it was way saltier than such a ham should be) but at least it tasted sort of like ham (the balance of the pack is in the refrigerator waiting for me to make something where it's saltiness will be usable, like Shanghai Winter Melon Soup.

Now I just have to remember to tell them that from now on they have to slice the fuet I buy, as they are now too hard to cut or chew.

i have had country ham once, it was ok, but since i rarely add salt to any thing i make it's a bit too too much for me even when used in something else which dilutes the salt.

fuet i had to look up, sounds good! i don't mind sausage with some tooth to it. :)

Pulsegleaner

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
i have had country ham once, it was ok, but since i rarely add salt to any thing i make it's a bit too too much for me even when used in something else which dilutes the salt.

fuet i had to look up, sounds good! i don't mind sausage with some tooth to it. :)

There's having some tooth to it, and there's the same consistency as a wood board! I have VERY strong teeth. If I can't chew through it, it's objectively too hard.

Latest posts