Baby back ribs

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
ever since this thread was started been wanting ribs, not that mechanical pulled mystery meat that @bobm is craving for..i do understand that most people on the west coast are culinary blind and think that pork is a cut of beef and that all bottle water comes from natural springs....go figure.

anyway dw called this morning and informed me that our local store has baby back ribs on sale at a price we could justify<she would like ribs for mothers day dinner>.
she picked up 6 racks so we both are going to have our rib fix...photos to be posted in a few days.
When we drive over 600 miles one way in 13.5hours to visit kids and grandkids, the car needs some nurishment in the form of gasoline so we stop at a gas station to fill up with gas. Stoping at a restaurant takes an hour or more so, since there are some fast food places next door to the gas stations, we have a humbuger or something else. Truck stops called "Cracker Barrel" in the mid west has some fine mouth watering and quite filling dining. The first one in Oregon just opened, so we will stop there on our way home this June. Believe it or not, but we DO have some fine restaurants in the West such as Ruth's Chris that we dine at . Since I raise and
butcher my own TOP QUALITY beef, swine, lamb, chicken, duck, turkey , rabbits, I KNOW the difference between the meats and I don't have to go shoping for meats and hope that it is a PRIME cut of meat. And since my wife is a goumet cook and baker , we eat the FINEST of meals at home ! Oh yea, I pit BBQ whole carcasses for celebration events and fund raisers too. :plbb

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
this mothers day dinner in the rough... was going to be 6 racks but finding out both kids are going to be working or would not eat leftovers reduced to 4 racks...
removed the baby back ribs from package.
washed...
removed the membrane from the inside of ribs....
washed again and pat dry...
now i get the camera back from the dw...
made my world famous marinate... ok it's a twist of north and south carolina styles
DSC_0009.JPG

put on a thin layer to all the racks..
DSC_0003.JPG

placed in plastic trash bag< yes a non scented one. and placed in fridge...
DSC_0005.JPG

for the mop will be using Georges as a base..
DSC_0003.JPG

for wood will be using lump hickory and using apple chips for the smoke flavor, want a deep smoke ring.
more to come tomorrow

Last edited:

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
just an update...at 2:53 tic toc
DSC_0001.JPG

just so you know @bobm i am a professional trained chef have studied underneath masters from Switzerland, Germany, Italy and France.... since learning the art of southern smoking. have won 2 1st place on ribs and 1 2nd place on chicken. not bad for a cali hillbilly.... yup darn proud.. the competition ring is ugly now so just cook for family and friends.......

majorcatfish

Garden Master
Reaction score
update 4:02 pm
the thick end has hit 155* rapped in heavy foil and a good mop of Georges bbq sauce.... for the next 30 ish minutes...
DSC_0004.JPG

stay tuned drooling .....

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
They do look good.....

None of your training impressed me one bit till you said you were taught by a southerner..... Did they get you untrained first?

Latest posts