Back to Eden Gardening

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Your zinnias are lovely Bee! Do you have to replant every year or do they reseed?

It's not Fall here yet. Still scorching hot summer.

I have to replant...they seem to be an annual, though I've heard they are wildflowers in other parts of the land, so they must reseed themselves in their natural environment/climate. Around here the finches eat all the seeds if you don't collect your seed heads quickly enough.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Fall arrived today and with it buckets and buckets of chilly rain...but this time of year also brings a lot of beautiful colors around the place.

100_0903.JPG
100_0905.JPG
100_0906.JPG
100_0908.JPG

My one carrot and wouldn't you know it would have to look indecent?

100_0881.JPG
100_0887.JPG
100_0890.JPG
100_0893.JPG

I don't normally take pics of my supper...but this was so pretty in the pan I had to take a pic or two. This is marinated chicken breast, bell peppers, hot banana peppers, onions and yellow squash. It was incredibly good! Ate it with a piece of homemade whole wheat bread.
100_0901.JPG

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee did you grow all the flowers by seed

All the zinnia and marigolds I did...the impatiens came from Lowe's. Those marigolds were only supposed to get 10 in. tall and the zinnias only 3-4 ft, but they both ignored their packaging, as per usual. The tallest marigold I have out of that bunch is over 2 ft tall. The tallest zinnias are over 6 ft.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I am really liking zinnias and grew some from seed this spring. Planing on growing a lot more flowers from seeds this spring

The thing I love about zinnias and also marigolds, is that you can plant them once and then the seeds are easy to harvest, so you never have to buy seed for them again if you don't want to.

The marigolds don't seem to really flower until the end of summer and into fall unless you really plant them into trays early. I didn't do early enough, so mine are just now coming to flower.

I don't think I'll ever do without zinnias now, as they are easy peasy and even I can't kill them before they bloom all over the place.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Miss Bee, I don't ever want to hear you say anything bad about your garden. Everything looks Beautiful! Those are some very colorful veggies. You have inspired me to plant zinnias next year. I already bought a package of seeds. Things get powdery mildew around here so we'll see how they do. Of course I still need to find a place for them. I'm just going to tuck them here and there.

I've decided to wait another year for the wood chips to break down before I get a bale of hay to use as mulch. That is unless I get impatient, which may happen. ;) Seems like it takes me 3 years for the chips to breakdown and I added fresh ones about a year ago.

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Those are the shiniest peppers ever! Looks like you waxed them. :)

Love your home Bee. Is that a log kit or free hand?

I didn't even WASH them...this hay mulch keeps everything so clean in the garden that they come off the plant looking like that. I thought they were pretty...never seen such shiny peppers that weren't prewashed. I think all the rains we've had washed them for me! :D

That cabin was built from logs off this land. My Dad built three, four really if you count our storage shed, log cabins off the logs grown on this land. No electricity was used in the making of any of those cabins, all done with ax and chainsaw, ropes to pull the logs up, etc. He never had any construction training, so he just did things his way....stickler for things being level and plumb, so anything he builds generally STAYS built for a long, long time.

He built this one when he was 62 yrs old. Mom helped and my boys helped(they were still little). The first one he built was put up in 3 wk's time and is still standing sound today, 42 yrs later, though it was built with one side pretty much right on the ground. We were in a hurry before winter set in, didn't even peel the logs on that one. It still looks great and the new owners have done nothing to it to preserve it in any way.

This is our storage shed out back, not a true stack log construction, but logs all the same. He did this one in a hurry too, so didn't bother to notch and stack the logs or peel the logs.

100_0843.JPG

Latest posts