Back to Eden Gardening

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Miss Bee, I don't ever want to hear you say anything bad about your garden. Everything looks Beautiful! Those are some very colorful veggies. You have inspired me to plant zinnias next year. I already bought a package of seeds. Things get powdery mildew around here so we'll see how they do. Of course I still need to find a place for them. I'm just going to tuck them here and there.

Miss Mary, mine get mildew also, but usually we get a good showing of flowers for a bit before that happens. This year they got worse than the powdery mildew...have not seen this kind of fungus before, but no doubt it's due to all the rains we've had all summer long and are still having. It's called leaf spot and it looks like this....

bacspotzinnialeavesweb.jpg

....then they all start to turn brown and die an early death. That's what's happening to mine right now, but they sure did put on a show while alive!

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, maybe this year I'll try spraying with a diy natural spray to try to diminish it. We'll see, I tend to get a little lazy about spraying, haha.

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Wonderful log work.
Your dad was a fine craftsman.
That must be where you get your creative building bent.

You kiddin'? If Dad could see some of the stuff I built he'd cringe with embarrassment! Then he'd laugh himself silly....or go behind me and rebuild it. I often think about how he would feel about some of the things I build...but then, it's his own fault, he never gave me instruction on construction...just his sons. ;)

But, thank you for your kind words, Thistle. :hugs

Bee, maybe this year I'll try spraying with a diy natural spray to try to diminish it. We'll see, I tend to get a little lazy about spraying, haha.

Mary

I do too. Or I forget to spray anything until it's much too late...they say it's very hard to correct a fungal infection once it's began and it's already been infected by the time one actually sees the symptoms, so a person would have to spray preventatively and often so the rain doesn't keep washing it away. Sadly, that's not my style...no one much sees my gardens, so I usually don't care if they look blighted near the end of the season. I like things to be easy to care for...anything that begins to take too much time is usually scratched off my list of things worthy of my time.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I didn't even WASH them...this hay mulch keeps everything so clean in the garden that they come off the plant looking like that. I thought they were pretty...never seen such shiny peppers that weren't prewashed. I think all the rains we've had washed them for me! :D

That cabin was built from logs off this land. My Dad built three, four really if you count our storage shed, log cabins off the logs grown on this land. No electricity was used in the making of any of those cabins, all done with ax and chainsaw, ropes to pull the logs up, etc. He never had any construction training, so he just did things his way....stickler for things being level and plumb, so anything he builds generally STAYS built for a long, long time.

He built this one when he was 62 yrs old. Mom helped and my boys helped(they were still little). The first one he built was put up in 3 wk's time and is still standing sound today, 42 yrs later, though it was built with one side pretty much right on the ground. We were in a hurry before winter set in, didn't even peel the logs on that one. It still looks great and the new owners have done nothing to it to preserve it in any way.

This is our storage shed out back, not a true stack log construction, but logs all the same. He did this one in a hurry too, so didn't bother to notch and stack the logs or peel the logs.

View attachment 28432

i do love the look of them like that! :)

must be able to seal them up somehow and keeping them dry. otherwise the bugs love to get into that bark...

around here any wood like that turns into mushrooms and bugs and the raccoons and other creatures start tearing it apart looking for the grubs/worms.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
i do love the look of them like that! :)

must be able to seal them up somehow and keeping them dry. otherwise the bugs love to get into that bark...

around here any wood like that turns into mushrooms and bugs and the raccoons and other creatures start tearing it apart looking for the grubs/worms.

A good roof with a nice overhang usually does the trick. Keep them dry and off the ground and you get a few bugs, but not as many as logs left out in the weather.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got a mini bale of alfalfa hay from the lady who gets me the horse manure! She came last week to pick up some eggs and I asked her if they ever had any hay that they threw away. So on Friday I wake up to find the bale in my driveway. I put a couple of inches of it around my fountain where the plum and apple tree are. Also put some around my fig tree, and my veggie beds where I have cauliflower and some peppers. I just about had enough. I am so grateful for this woman bringing me this stuff.

As I was spreading it out, my husband had this look :rolleyes: and asked me where I got my crazy ideas. :lol:

Mary

Latest posts