Back to Eden Gardening

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
the siding here is red cedar which is stained, in places it needs some help now after 21+yrs. i caulk up the cracks so rains and the wind doesn't get through as easily. that has made a huge difference in how many drafts i feel in the winter (probably has already paid for itself many times over). that's why in the early fall i go around and seal up things as a regular maintenance item. it also helps keep the bugs out.

once in a while a wood pecker will come along and like the way the siding sounds and use it. they don't do much damage i've ever found, they're not going after bugs, but when it happens it's startling...

i have a few spots above my patio door and the windows that i have to cover because the birdies want to use the ledges as nesting areas. i already have the wood to do it, but don't want to get up on a ladder yet with my gimpy leg.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
What in the world does house siding have to do with organic gardening Bob? :hu
All natural process of decomposition of natural wood falling onto ground to add composted wood without any chemical preservatives into it for organic matter to improve soil fertility and improve tilth. :idunno

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
My friends live in a house built in the 20s when houses where built to last, almost a 100 years later very little wood had to be replaced over the years

I once owned a house built in the 30s and was thinking of replacing the siding rather than painting the whole, huge house. Had a man come give an estimate and he took one look and said, "Uh...I wouldn't replace that siding. It's cypress and will last as long as that house ever will. You can't get that anywhere any longer, so my best advice is to just paint it."

The inside of that house was built with wide wormy chestnut planks and huge 2x4s~ when they were actually 2x4s~ of wormy chestnut as well. When I tore down a wall to open the kitchen into the front living room, I used some of the wormy chestnut to make my counters and my windowsill for that room..it was simply lovely.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
All natural process of decomposition of natural wood falling onto ground to add composted wood without any chemical preservatives into it for organic matter to improve soil fertility and improve tilth. :idunno

Yeah. Huh. Ok.
That's not how I pick siding for my house, but whatever floats yer boat I guess.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
4F086FF7-618E-4341-815F-5A7D2BDEF239.jpeg
I think my nasturtiums are liking the alfalfa hay.

Latest posts