Back to Eden Gardening

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I don't mind folks saying "I told you so"....I do it often enough. A person can't live entirely on second hand information....as you've seen so many times on BYC~whole slew of folks giving other people advice on things they've never tried on their own but they've read about them in a book, heard about their cousin's wife's preacher's sister-in-law who did it and this happened, and then there are those who got advice on a forum from someone else who tried it once and it didn't work out....but, by golly, if THEY did it and it didn't work out, it simply won't work for anyone else either.

I'm a person who doesn't mind trying things in my own back yard so I can give first hand experience on it and don't mind telling if it worked or if I ended up with egg on my face. That's information I can stand on and it's not heresy. It's mine and I own it, good or bad.
I haven't heard of recent times regarding this bar b q... but at the old Mission San Louis Rey in Oceanside, Cal. (where my wife grew up ). The Spanish / native Indians and the rest of the parishenors held an annual bar b q with a burro as the guest of honor as the main course. Solved many an aching ear too. ;)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I haven't heard of recent times regarding this bar b q... but at the old Mission San Louis Rey in Oceanside, Cal. (where my wife grew up ). The Spanish / native Indians and the rest of the parishenors held an annual bar b q with a burro as the guest of honor as the main course. Solved many an aching ear too. ;)

Funny you should say that....we had already discussed how donkey meat would taste. Seriously. Here in WV we aren't too shy about trying ways to get meat on the table. :D

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are playing with the idea of using a shock collar on the donkey to do some training. Found out they have used it for problem horses and it worked, so would like to see if it would work for the donkey. And...it would be kind of fun to shock an animal that will stomp on a lamb and a puppy. ;)

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Funny you should say that....we had already discussed how donkey meat would taste. Seriously. Here in WV we aren't too shy about trying ways to get meat on the table. :D
Never understood why some meats are OK-poultry, swine, beef; but horse, donkey, etc, not OK-except as dog food processed in another country.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Never understood why some meats are OK-poultry, swine, beef; but horse, donkey, etc, not OK-except as dog food processed in another country.

because horses are more often pets now than work animals so for most people killing and eating them would be like killing and eating Fido or Fluffy. the general problem with eating Fido and Fluffy is that they are carnivores at heart and it's just not a good idea to eat that far up the food chain.

based upon evidence so far it's probably no longer a good idea to keep chickens or swine in terms of the many diseases they pass along to humans and vice-versa, but as they say in RealityVille "That Ship Has Sailed."

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score

Me neither. It's all in people's minds as a bad thing. I don't particularly WANT to eat a horse or donkey, but when food is scarce, they provide a large source of meat. In those circumstances, even the pet crowd will be sharpening up some knives, make no mistake.

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, if you try a shock collar, make sure it consistently works to start with and also works over distance. I tried one on a dog one time to stop property damage. This was back when they were simpler, you just push a button and it's supposed to shock. Today's shock collars are more complicated but at least the bark collar worked and worked well. I had to stop a dog from barking all day and especially all night when I moved to town or turn her into the pound. She would not have been adopted, which means she would have been killed. The bark collar works, we still have her. The training collar did not. When I'd push the button she might be shocked but often not. Different dog. That collar went to the landfill and I came up with another way to stop that property damage.

I've eaten horse when working overseas. It was pretty lean meat and served once a week in the construction camp cafeteria. Bee, if (or when) you cook that donkey expect it to be tough so cook it in a way to tenderize it. I'm sure you can handle that. I've eaten dog too, when I was overseas in the army. We weren't supposed to eat in the "ville" but of course we did. The meat was surprisingly sweet.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Ridgerunner You would have but you are a trouble making, pea picker, bless your heart type........ US Nawtherners, would never cause that type of grief.... we are a peaceable type of people.... once again, my emojis aren’t working....... so use your imagination here.... well, maybe better not..
Hey! I'm like Seedcorn! ;)

Mary

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee, if you try a shock collar, make sure it consistently works to start with and also works over distance. I tried one on a dog one time to stop property damage. This was back when they were simpler, you just push a button and it's supposed to shock. Today's shock collars are more complicated but at least the bark collar worked and worked well. I had to stop a dog from barking all day and especially all night when I moved to town or turn her into the pound. She would not have been adopted, which means she would have been killed. The bark collar works, we still have her. The training collar did not. When I'd push the button she might be shocked but often not. Different dog. That collar went to the landfill and I came up with another way to stop that property damage.

I've eaten horse when working overseas. It was pretty lean meat and served once a week in the construction camp cafeteria. Bee, if (or when) you cook that donkey expect it to be tough so cook it in a way to tenderize it. I'm sure you can handle that. I've eaten dog too, when I was overseas in the army. We weren't supposed to eat in the "ville" but of course we did. The meat was surprisingly sweet.

RR, I ordered a better shock collar than I currently have....it's a sports dog collar with a 500 yd reach and 12 levels of intensity. Supposed to be the baddest setup out there. Folks said to put the collar on a week before you intend to use it so they don't get collar wise, which suits me fine. Horse folks positioned it on high on the neck and I'll try that, but if it doesn't do the trick there, I have no compunctions about modifying it to fit on the nose strap of a halter so it can reach a really tender area.

I also got this for one particular dog of mine that likes to go walk about, blowing through whatever electric fencing we have applied, both invisible and high tensile. I'd like to do some training with him on avoiding the boundary and fences altogether so he can't rush past the shock and be gone. If that doesn't work for him and a drag doesn't, we are sending him to a home with better fencing.

That is so cool you got to try both horse and dog meat!!! I see the consumption of dog meat as a really neat solution to the overpopulation of pets in America...if we don't want to eat them here, at least we could export them to countries that have less food availability than do we.

If we ate this donkey she'd be ground or chunked and canned into a jar. Instant tenderization. She's nice and meaty too, so in hard times she'd be looking pretty good for butchering.

Latest posts