Back to Eden Gardening

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got rid of my mule because she wanted to stomp everything to death that wasn't a horse. Donkeys and mules are notional, who knows what lurks in their mind?

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got rid of my mule because she wanted to stomp everything to death that wasn't a horse. Donkeys and mules are notional, who knows what lurks in their mind?

Bay, she was just the sweetest thing to humans, which kind of fools ya. Today they came to take her to her new home and she practically pulled me to the horse trailer and jumped right in there. Never saw a horse or donkey so eager to get into a trailer...I've seen easy to load but this was something else altogether. Do you think she thought she was going home, perhaps?

I've also never seen a horse or donkey so willing to give her feet, practically lifted them up and put them in your hands. Whatever her past life was, she was handled quite a bit.

She's going to a great home with other horses and donkeys...a nice, wealthy couple who can take care of her well. Very nice folks. I was thanking God for a good outcome for her, as she truly was a sweet girl....just didn't like the sheeples or dogs, is all.

Working on the garden fence today, trying to finally get it secure from chickens so I can plant something in there soon....still too cold to plant much but spuds and kind of too wet to even plant those. Got the spuds cut up and curing out, ran the sheep through the garden for a few days to deposit some good nitrogen there and get all the grass in the extension part eaten down, and need to build a few raised beds.

Mostly going to be spuds, beans, squash, rhubarb and asparagus this year, with a few maters and pumpkins. Will likely also plant some purple turnips just for kicks.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mostly going to be spuds, beans, squash, rhubarb and asparagus this year, with a few maters and pumpkins. Will likely also plant some purple turnips just for kicks.

i wish Mom would eat turnips. i grow a few for myself to eat each year. most of them end up as worm food, which is good. i like their flowers. :)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
i wish Mom would eat turnips. i grow a few for myself to eat each year. most of them end up as worm food, which is good. i like their flowers. :)

I like them raw, with salt. But, you can only eat so many like that...mostly I'll grow them to store for winter feed.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like them raw, with salt. But, you can only eat so many like that...mostly I'll grow them to store for winter feed.

i like them fried like potatoes until they get of brown/burnt edge on them, but i could be happy with them boiled. never tried them raw except for a few leaves once, that was enough. i'm forbidden to cook them in the house when Mom's around.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had a tri colored spotted jack. It was a pity purchase. his hooves were curled up, no hair below his knees, sores, he was a mess. He did not like his feet messed with. A good farrier didn't give up on him and we slowly brought his hooves back to where they were supposed to be. It was a fight. Finally he would stop and give in, just to get it over with. Once he saw the farrier, he just stopped, I haltered him and he stood to have his hooves trimmed. When we moved here, I found him another home.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
We had a tri colored spotted jack. It was a pity purchase. his hooves were curled up, no hair below his knees, sores, he was a mess. He did not like his feet messed with. A good farrier didn't give up on him and we slowly brought his hooves back to where they were supposed to be. It was a fight. Finally he would stop and give in, just to get it over with. Once he saw the farrier, he just stopped, I haltered him and he stood to have his hooves trimmed. When we moved here, I found him another home.

I love that story, Bay! Willow's hooves needed a trim and one was distorted from some injury or infection in the past, but they weren't too bad....had some thrush, though. I couldn't wait to trim them and give them a good clean out. The fella that bought her has been doing his own farrier work for 40 yrs now, so he knows what he's going with both horses and donkeys. I'm glad for her.