Back to Eden Gardening

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'm doubting if they have the right kind. The wood chips one looks for are ramial wood chips and a variety of types of wood. Ramial, meaning that the green leaves and branch tips are all ground up in the chips too, which adds green to the composting and helps it compost more quickly/better. Supposed to add more nutrients to the wood chip compost as well.
The chips at Home Depot are also painted in black, red, and brown. They look hideous and so unnatural.

Mary

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score
My scuffle hoe came today! :weee

Even my DH is in awe. In 45 minutes I did two flowerbeds, one raised bed (which was completely full of knee-high grass and weeds), and the upper 1/3rd of the garden. I should have done a before and after picture! I could have had it all done today except the mid-day was so hot and muggy there was nothing to do but swim in the pool, lol. This was all I got done after cooking dinner. Best $50 I ever spent. I'm going to order one for my mom. :)

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
My scuffle hoe came today! :weee

Even my DH is in awe. In 45 minutes I did two flowerbeds, one raised bed (which was completely full of knee-high grass and weeds), and the upper 1/3rd of the garden. I should have done a before and after picture! I could have had it all done today except the mid-day was so hot and muggy there was nothing to do but swim in the pool, lol. This was all I got done after cooking dinner. Best $50 I ever spent. I'm going to order one for my mom. :)

:lol: Another convert!!! :D Tickles me to hear I'm not just crazy in love with a garden tool...it really DOES turn a chore I hate into one I enjoy and I never thought that could be possible. As a youth I hated the hot hours in the sun hoeing out corn, taters, beans....seemingly endless long rows with a chop hoe, while trying not to damage the plants.

It helped me cut the Bermuda grass, bindweed and creeping Charlie right out from under the landscaping timbers at my son's garden~inside AND outside the garden! Ripped right through the thick grasses growing outside those timbers and made mincemeat of anything in its path. I'm able to stay on top of these invaders this year and it's just refreshing....my old body no longer enjoys the art of garden war. It's positively lethal, that hoe! :cool:

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
I just went to the Rogue site and wrote a review for this hoe, telling them how many of you folks have also bought one and loved them. I never wrote a product review in my life, so that tells you how much I really like this hoe.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Inquireing minds want to know. ... when you zip along and behead the weeds, how long does it take for the weeds to grow back ? In our yard, we have a situation where the developer dumped tons of rubble rock then covered them with truck loads of dirt to cover a swamp. Some of the dirt is about 10" thick and others about 1" and many areas where the rock is at the surface due to grading. So hitting a rock with hoe or shovel is a given. Steve can relate, I am sure. Using your hoe here would render it dull i n a matter of mintes as I use my shovel to slice the weeds off at the soil surface by pushing the shovel along the dirt surface . Not only have I wore off about an inch + of steel off the shovel point in 3 years, and my arms are sore for days . Our weeds grow back in a week or two to start the process over and over.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Inquireing minds want to know. ... when you zip along and behead the weeds, how long does it take for the weeds to grow back ?

It doesn't grow back in that same place, IME. More weeds appear in the garden but the ones that were cut do not come back in that same space. This hoe works about an inch under the surface of the chips/soil.

These Rogue hoes are made from some pretty high quality steel, as they are made from the metal of old farming implements from back in the day. Bob, it sounds like you may need a different kind of hoe than a gardening hoe...take a gander that the many different kinds of hoes this company has, never saw anything like it! I linked you to the page where there are hoes more like something you'd need.

https://roguehoe.com/trailbuilding/

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bee ... looking at their site, which hoe on their site are you talking about ??? :hu

Latest posts