Back to Eden Gardening

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Beekissed I got some more horse manure yesterday! In some places my wood chips are pretty thin because they have decomposed. In other places there seems to still be some. I don't remember if I added some more or if I layed them thicker in those places. Can I just lay manure on top of the wood chips, both where they are thin and where they are thick?

The manure is pretty decomposed, can I lay it around my tomato plants or will it burn them? I don't know if I should wait until my tomatoes are done which may be a couple of months.

Once I lay manure over everything, I want to really start looking for some wood chips. I may have to drive about an hour away. But that's ok, it's up in the wine country and I can always use a glass of wine. ;)

Mary

I'd just go light with it and side dress them...you won't want to give them too much nitrogen or they will be all vine and no fruit. Then, I'd put the manure in your thin spots and put chips on top when you get more chips.

I'd also save back a bucket of it for manure tea so you can use that later on. Lucky, lucky you!!! :woot

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary Home depot has wood chips cheap ( not sure if organic) with the price of gas might make ore sense to buy. But then again if looking for nice Sunday afternoon drive in wine country go for it.

ninnymary

Garden Master
Reaction score
Nyboy, I think they've been treated with something. I'm not worried about the gas. Driving up to the wine country which is about 1 hr. away is a nice drive in the country. Plus free wood chips and wineries definitely worth the gas. We'll have a nice lunch and call it a date.

Mary

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Mary Home depot has wood chips cheap ( not sure if organic) with the price of gas might make ore sense to buy. But then again if looking for nice Sunday afternoon drive in wine country go for it.
@Nyboy. Think about it-wood. It's not a GMO.

Ok, I'll take my beating, never thought about preservatives being sprayed on chips....

Last edited:

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Nyboy. Think about it-wood. It's not a GMO.

Ok, I'll take my beating, never thought about preservatives being sprayed on chips....
If the sawdust /woodchips are only from trees from a lumber mill and packaged or from wooden boards only that is fine. However if they contain sawdust from pressboard and melamine, then you have glues and plastic bits in them too.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
I'd just go light with it and side dress them...you won't want to give them too much nitrogen or they will be all vine and no fruit. Then, I'd put the manure in your thin spots and put chips on top when you get more chips.

I'd also save back a bucket of it for manure tea so you can use that later on. Lucky, lucky you!!! :woot
Mary, since the horse manure has age on them , I wouldn't wory about it. I have been known to take the horse manure right out of the stall and to the garden spreading them one road apple thick without having the plants have a fertilizer burn and they produce large amount of fruit /produce.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score

I'm doubting if they have the right kind. The wood chips one looks for are ramial wood chips and a variety of types of wood. Ramial, meaning that the green leaves and branch tips are all ground up in the chips too, which adds green to the composting and helps it compost more quickly/better. Supposed to add more nutrients to the wood chip compost as well.

bobm

Garden Master
Reaction score
As an aside ... there is a LARGE cattle feedlot owner with 4 large feedlots with annual sales in the multimillions . He buys cattle at auction year round from N. Cal, Idaho, Oregon, and Washington. Since he is getting older and starting to think of retireing, several months ago, he sold one of the feedlots, but RETAINED all of the curent manure on it as well as ALL FUTURE MANURE PRODUCED ON THAT FEED LOT. Now that is a GOLD MINE of a deal ! :thumbsup

Latest posts