BARN! and NEW PORCH!

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
Uh-oh. I was kidding Mary! I'm sure we could stack a lot of Ninnymary's and Baymules on that swing without getting anywhere near it's weight capacity.
Like cordwood even! Not because it's so heavy duty, but because you both are such little wisps of people. Daintyish....Am I out of that hole yet, or am I still digging?...

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, that is one dreamy porch! That thing is amazing! You know, you could really jazz that swing up and give it more character with just a nice pop of color...paint. Something distinctive and that draws the eye, something with whimsy...folks will be drawn to it, not just for the comfort, but for the beauty of it. What's your favorite color? :pop

housebeautiful.jpg

th

th

Or just bright cushions...

front-porch-swing-ideas2.jpg

Just think...you have a blank canvas on which to paint your personality onto that porch. Can't wait to see what you do with it!!!! :celebrate

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@ninnymary and @thistlebloom my DH and I both sit on the swing and it hasn't fallen yet!

Thanks for the reminder @majorcatfish I need to go get that brick from the flowerbed and give it a place of honor on the new porch!

@bobm I'm not moving the barn. Only one side is in a low place and lots of dirt and a retaining wall is fixing that. The highest point on the property is at the very front by the road. The house sits about 100 yards from the road. The land has a gradual slope to a small gully about 3/4 of the way into the property. Then it rises back up, but not as high as the very front. I didn't want the barn in front of the house, so it went behind the house. I didn't want to cut a half dozen 50 year old oak trees, so the barn had to scooch back. The pipeline right away cuts through the property from front to back and I can't put anything on it and can't cross it with a water line or electric line, so nix land on the other side of the pipeline. It is where it is, because everything else has been eliminated. :thumbsup

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@buckabucka I love what your husband is doing with your porch! Tell him I approve of his concrete dye job--does he want to come to Texas and paint my porch?? :lol:

@Beekissed those are some nice picture ideas. Buuuuut......the imitation plastic wicker is cracking and falling off in small pieces. paint would have to have a bunch of glue in it. Really thinking of stripping all the wicker off and using the metal frame to build another swing. I considered cowhide, but humidity and dust would make it an unpleasant place to sit. Thinking about cedar slats, just have to figure out how to attach to metal frame.

If you look at the picture of the porch, the solid wall at the end is a nook for a commercial sewing machine I have. I used to have an upholstery business and still have one machine. I am going to make a long cushion for the church pew and pillows. The contractor thoughtfully placed a light in the nook so I can see better.

Smart Red

Garden Master
Reaction score
Bay, may I ask what direction the front of your double-wide faces? I once read an article about people who have a light bright livingroom. Then they build a porch in front of the house. The living room became dark and dreary but the family enjoyed the porch so much that they decided to enclose it for all year use.

That made the house darker, but the porch was so useful. It became a part of the house that was lighter and more friendly. Eventually, someone decided to move the living room into the bright ex-porch. Light filled the room so someone decided it needed a porch to provide a bit of shade. . . .

I really do like the porch and knowing your climate, realize that you will get so much more use from it then I ever would in south-est, central-est Wisconsin. It is a good thing!

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Hey, GWR! You were born only an hour and 20 minutes from where my Grandmother Pearl was born, in Montague County, Texas. She was the youngest of my grandparents. Just a kid ... let's see ... 20 November 1892. Yes, she may predate you there ... 123.

Bay', we were talking about that Arp Rosemary being named for Arp, Texas ...

Belcherville, Texas was the largest town in Montague County when Grandma was born ... named for the Belcher brothers ... Arp!

Excuse me!
Steve
;)

My grandmother would have been older than yours. It is amazing to think we knew and talked to people born in the 1800s. My dad was born in 1910 in Muskogee, Oklahoma. He would have been 105 years old this year. My mother would be 100 this year and her mother was born in 1890s. She might have been born in Texas also.

I guess if that Rosemary plant is still alive this spring then it must be an Arp.

Latest posts