Baymule’s 2020 Garden

Gardening with Rabbits

Garden Master
Reaction score
Yes, I got the seed from Baker Creek. Did you like them?

Yes, I really like them fried. I have stuffed them, but nobody really eats peppers except me, so the calories, I just do not stuff them that often. They usually just produce and produce. Very mild, not much flavor, but I like them on salads raw.

Zeedman

Garden Master
Reaction score
@Zeedman why do you leave the stems on? Do you find they keep better frozen whole as opposed to sliced? It does get hot here, we’ll see how they do.

Have you or @seedcorn ever stuffed the Cubanelle peppers?
The cooked eggplant is pretty soft & slimy & once peeled. The stems make them much easier to handle both before & after freezing (and keep your hands cleaner). Besides, as I mentioned, we slit the eggplant lengthwise, spread it out into a fan shape, dip it in egg batter & fry it. Having the stem attached turns the fried eggplant into finger food. Everyone in our family loves it that way. Any left over batter gets fried in the eggplant juice, the grand kids will fight over that stuff. And they say kids don't like vegetables...
( :drool just talked myself into pulling some eggplant out of the freezer...)

No, I never stuffed Cubanelle. As @seedcorn already stated, you probably couldn't stuff them like bell peppers, they are too narrow & not as sturdy. I think they might be suitable for a chili relleno recipe though... wish I had tried that myself.
@Zeedman. Do you want to try some okra? They have done well in NE Indiana where cold snaps ruin okra. I’m on sand so no guarantees how they will perform on soils with clay or actual top soil....
The offer is appreciated; but just as "Diamond" satisfied my search for a good eggplant, "Pentagreen" ended my search for a cool-tolerant okra. I have been saving my own seed for 5 generations, and it has adapted to the point where losses are minimal. The plants grew over my head last year, and gave me all the okra I could handle.

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Looked up Pentagreen. Look what I found. Article said 11 years ago?

Pentagreen okra is a variety of okra that is apparently very tolerant of cool and cold conditions. Zeedman even said he was still picking okra when a frost was predicted the next day.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Something got my pak choy. Just gone. Maybe crows? The lettuce didn't do well, some are making it, some aren't. I may reseed directly and see what happens. I planted a packet of radish seeds, it was old seed, if they come up, great, if not, at least that packet isn't taking up room any more. I really need to get rid of the old seed. I have another packet of radish seed, I think I'll plant that too.

The mustard seeds are coming up.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
more likely wabbit, groundhog, sheepies or chickens. i don't have troubles with crows eating greens.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
No groundhogs here, sheep and chickens have not been in the garden and we rabbit proofed the garden. Crows will pull up young plants and they will eat the tasty ones.

i don't see that here ever. the crows around here are usually seen near the roads picking at roadkill. we do hear them around when they make their rounds but they don't normally spend any time in the yard or in the gardens that i see.

perhaps they are being nice because i bribe them with mice that i trap by putting the mice on the bit of lawn to the south that we still mow that is really the neighbor's property. those mice are usually gone within a few hours.

i never shoot at them or try to deter them from being around as i think they are smart and interesting birds and we don't plant corn. :)

the only birds here i try to discourage and shoot at are the grackles and that is because Mom can't stand them and she doesn't do things by halfs. once she hates something she wants to kill it or bury it or get rid of it.

right now she's on the warpath about the washing machine... *sigh* lol i wish i could shoot it with the air rifle and bury it...

seedcorn

Garden Master
Reaction score
Radishes are a problem for me. Come up fine, just don’t do much after. Must be wrong soil profile.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Radishes are a problem for me. Come up fine, just don’t do much after. Must be wrong soil profile.

strange... they grow ok here, too bad we don't really eat them. i use them as ground breakers and cover crop and i like the flowers and seed pods. the seeds/pods are also edible as are the sprouts.

you ever try growing daikon radishes? they are what i have here that grow and you can get the seeds by the lb from a grain elevator for few $. i think i have a lifetime supply since they seem to be reseeding themselves in the garden where i've been growing them the past few years along with some turnips which i do eat once in a while, but also grow them as a cover crop and for the flowers and then at the end of the season they get buried to feed the worms.

a rotting turnip smells like beer to me. :)

Latest posts