Baymule’s 2021 Garden

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
instead of wacking holes through cardboard after it is put down you can put the holes in it with a drill/hole thingy and then put it down.

or, put the cardboard down with a strip left uncovered that you plant into and then mulch over it all after the plants have sprouted.

either way is a lot better than having smashed hands.

by thingy i mean something like this (but there may be something better too):

DrillBit.jpg

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
@baymule your garden is looking AMAZING. Hard to believe it is the same land you bought a few years ago.
The first year garden in 2015 was such a bust, just about a total failure. Fast forward to now, we have put so much work into that little patch of dirt. It is rich, black soil and it goes over a foot deep. Sheep manure, chicken manure and horse manure, and LOTS of wood chips. A neighbor calls it the best soil in the county. LOL

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
instead of wacking holes through cardboard after it is put down you can put the holes in it with a drill/hole thingy and then put it down.

or, put the cardboard down with a strip left uncovered that you plant into and then mulch over it all after the plants have sprouted.

either way is a lot better than having smashed hands.

by thingy i mean something like this (but there may be something better too):

DrillBit.jpg
I like that hole drill idea. I have a cordless drill too. I still have more holes to make for planting. I may have one of those hole drills, if I don't , I bet a neighbor does. I'm going to give that a try!

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I like that hole drill idea. I have a cordless drill too. I still have more holes to make for planting. I may have one of those hole drills, if I don't , I bet a neighbor does. I'm going to give that a try!

it may not work all the great on wet cardboard, but i guess you'll find out. :) heeheehee...

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
it may not work all the great on wet cardboard, but i guess you'll find out. :) heeheehee...
Wet cardboard, I can usually cut easily with the knife. But triple thick pumpkin boxes are thick and hard to chop holes in. I usually put them in another part of the garden where I plant things like watermelons, cantaloupe or winter squash. I don't have to cut many holes for those.

henless

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Garden is looking good Bay! How far apart do you put your panels for the tomatoes? I put my trellis up like that this year. They are about a foot above the bed and my tomatoes are almost to the top of the trellis'. They'll be falling over the top before long.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I asked for help with all the grass and weeds in the garden, so we can start planting. This is the help I got. Not quite what I pictured.

View attachment 40020
Yeah...that is Usually My help, too.
Although, yesterday Youngest DD helped me plant about 18 cool weather vegetables.

Latest posts