Baymule’s 2021 Garden

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
20 rows of corn? Did you hand plant it or do you have a seeder?

Your garden is looking great! I know you will have a great harvest.

I open a furrow with a hoe, hand drop the seed and cover with the hoe. Estimating 660 corn seeds. I wanted a big patch this year for the cornmeal, I never have enough. I have a grain mill and we mill the corn into cornmeal. After this gets a good start, I’ll plant sweet corn, so they don’t cross pollinate.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
We are heading out to the garden to cut holes in the cardboard on the other two pole bean trellises so I can plant the other two purple podded varieties of green beans. It is time consuming like this, but it sure holds down the weeds. Supposed to start raining around noon and continue all week for 5 to 7 inches of rain. Want to go blackberry picking too if we have time, the coming rain will beat the berries off, so really want to go pick!

Ridgerunner

Garden Master
Reaction score
Want to go blackberry picking too if we have time, the coming rain will beat the berries off, so really want to go pick!
For Mother's Day my son took his kids blackberry picking on the levee. Then he and the kids baked a blackberry pie as dessert. He did the crust and a lattice covering, the 10-year-old did the filling, and the five-year-old helped. That was good.

Cosmo spring garden

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I open a furrow with a hoe, hand drop the seed and cover with the hoe. Estimating 660 corn seeds. I wanted a big patch this year for the cornmeal, I never have enough. I have a grain mill and we mill the corn into cornmeal. After this gets a good start, I’ll plant sweet corn, so they don’t cross pollinate.
Great idea with the furrow! I am planting a big patch of painted mountain and glass gem corn too.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got Poe beans planted. Planted Grandma Robert’s Purple Pole Beans yesterday, seed from @Zeedman. Today I planted Cassie’s Purple Pods pole beans from @Bluejay77 and purple pole beans from @flowerbug. My thanks to the three of you for sending me those seeds. @flowerbug i haven’t planted purple dove yet, but hopefully between rain storms this week, I can.

Haha, my husband has never helped me plant through the cardboard. He got a real education today! I have a huge kitchen knife that I use, often with a hammer. His tool of choice was a machete and hammer. Both of us used 22 ounce waffle headed hammers and cries of OUCH! with expletives rang out when we missed and bashed our knuckles. These are pumpkin boxes that we get every year, they are triple thick. Maybe next year, instead of beating a knife, machete, our knuckles, with a big hammer, I could capture a beaver in need of a dental appointment and have him chew through the pumpkin boxes!

BJ, machete and hammer cutting holes through the cardboard so I could plant seeds.

B667CD89-6A07-451E-9412-ACD21F8E7B40.jpeg

Me, giant kitchen knife and hammer, wacking holes in cardboard.

81AA0F1B-BF58-45F2-B9A1-EFF8C9BFF856.jpeg

Poor man just didn’t know what it takes to beat the crap out of a cardboard box. LOL LOL He was whupped.

D9465D1F-D91B-4089-97F6-627A3A446F7E.jpeg

Since we were tired and worn out from the last 4 days, we went berry picking in the fence row across the road from our place. I figured we had an hour before the rains hit. The vines were loaded. Of course, the best blackberries are deep into the vines where we had to weave our hands between stickery vines, getting stabbed by tiny thorns that breakaway from the vines, embedding themselves in our hands. At least we had sense enough to put on long sleeved shirts.

D7C3F774-F71A-493E-8F18-A4895104C832.jpeg

It sprinkled. Stopped. Sprinkled again. Stopped again. It sprinkled and stopped several more times, wetting us down pretty good. We kept picking. Finally the bottom fell out, drenching us like two drowned rats. We quit, got in the mule and went home. We did get a big bowl of black berries!

EEB0521C-7B85-497C-BE52-48C3DC157310.jpeg

I decided to go ahead and feed animals. BJ thought I was nuts. But I told him once I clean up and change clothes, I’m not going to want to go back out in the rain to do chores. So I fed animals in pouring rain, what difference did it make? I was already soaking wet. Haha.

We took showers, put on clean clothes and went to town to go eat because we were starving and I had the foresight to NOT thaw out anything for supper.

I’m happy with what we got done. I got a late start, never been this late getting the garden started before. So I’m going to call it an early fall garden. LOL LOL

Tired. Bring on the rain.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Great idea with the furrow! I am planting a big patch of painted mountain and glass gem corn too.

i have a pointed hoe for doing all my seed drills, once the seeds are down the same hoe works to fill it back in and to tamp the dirt back down to ensure good seed/soil contact. i mainly use this hoe only during planting season, but it is a handy tool to have.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
Got Poe beans planted. Planted Grandma Robert’s Purple Pole Beans yesterday, seed from @Zeedman. Today I planted Cassie’s Purple Pods pole beans from @Bluejay77 and purple pole beans from @flowerbug. My thanks to the three of you for sending me those seeds. @flowerbug i haven’t planted purple dove yet, but hopefully between rain storms this week, I can.

you're welcome @baymule! me, when i'm tired i roll over and take a nap. you guys go picking berries! :) more power to ya for sure... :)

and i have to agree with @Carol Dee on how nice that garden soil has come along. surely not sugar sand any longer. :)

we had a very welcome nice rain last night and this morning, ran away to pick up some groceries and a few supplies. had lunch, got home and took a 3hr nap. shopping is more tiring to me than gardening.

Latest posts