Baymule’s Farm

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
Just a bit of experience speaking... Are you doing a pole barn? If so and you're going to use store bought lumber and trusses. Multiples of 8 foot will be less expensive, than custom measurements. It's just a the way materials are made nowadays. 24 foot trusses will be cheaper and more available than custom 20 foot trusses. So you can shop around for the best prices on trusses for example.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
It’s going to be 20’x20’ because I have enough poles for that size and probably enough lumber for a lot of it. Lean to’s will come off each side, eventually.

The big barn will be two 40’ shipping containers set 40’ apart. Son already bought metal trusses for it. Lean to’s will eventually come off both sides of it too.

I can buy the metal for a small barn roof sooner than for the 40’x40’. Sheep and dogs need a dry place to be when we have torrential rain downpours. The small shelters they have get wet inside because the whole lot is wet and soupy.

Crealcritter

Deeply Rooted
Reaction score
It’s going to be 20’x20’ because I have enough poles for that size and probably enough lumber for a lot of it. Lean to’s will come off each side, eventually.

The big barn will be two 40’ shipping containers set 40’ apart. Son already bought metal trusses for it. Lean to’s will eventually come off both sides of it too.

I can buy the metal for a small barn roof sooner than for the 40’x40’. Sheep and dogs need a dry place to be when we have torrential rain downpours. The small shelters they have get wet inside because the whole lot is wet and soupy.
Well you have a plan, that's the most important thing.

Jesus is Lord and Christ 🙏❤️🇺🇸

Phaedra

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
Just finished getting 13 chickens slaughtered, picked, gutted and on ice. Got to haul off bag of guts to dumpster and get another bag of ice. Back is sore. Tired.
13 chickens, wow!

Every time I got roosters to slaughter, it took me at least 30 minutes for one, so two roosters were already my limit. :p

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
About a dozen years ago, when we lived in Livingston, in town, I kept hens in the backyard. I mentioned to a neighbor lady that I was going to butcher a couple of old hens. She wanted to participate in order to learn how. So she and her 4 kids came over.

I showed her how to end the hens life. Since I was going to skin them, I cut off the wings. I opened one out and fanned myself, acting silly. Immediately the kids clamored for a wing and they all played with chicken wings, giggling and laughing. They ran all over the yard, having a great time.

Neighbor lady got her hands dirty, she got right in there with me. I sent her home with one of the hens and she made a pot of soup. Kids took their wings, I imagine at some point their mom claimed the wings for the trash. She was amazed at the smell of the simmering chicken, and how good ithe soup tasted.

Latest posts