baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
422241009_10224708322440435_5724860451036370630_n.jpg
That’s ME.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Its not you. The pic doesn't show you being mauled by happy Anatolians thinking Mommy wants to play. :lol:
Girl, you got THAT right! Any time I’m on their level, it’s play time! I put a lawn chair in the pen so I can sit down to pet them. If I sit on the ground, they wallow all over me. If I fall down, I have 3 big dogs bouncing on me like a trampoline.

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
My sister lives in Conroe near the west fork of the San Jacinto River. She is downstream from Lake Conroe. She was gone overnight and the water came up.

Her road

View attachment 63520

Her house

View attachment 63521

Inside, her 2 dogs and several inches of water in the house.

View attachment 63522

She and a friend went to the fire station where they knew someone about rescuing her dogs. She wanted to go home but was told no. The fireman called in a rescue team and they went to her house by boat and got her dogs out. She and dogs are staying with friends.

View attachment 63523

View attachment 63524

This is being repeated all over southeast Texas.
That is just horrible. It looks like the scenes here at the other end of the country during last summer's uncharacteristic flooding. They say these extreme weather events will become more common. Stay safe.

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
That is just horrible. It looks like the scenes here at the other end of the country during last summer's uncharacteristic flooding. They say these extreme weather events will become more common. Stay safe.

it's not only the weather but land use changes which have an effect on how much water the area will soak up and how fast it will release the water.

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
I got this picture from my sister’s friend. Sis is home, that’s her with back to the camera, with neighbor’s teenage daughter. She was in Waco on a school competition. That’s her boyfriend who just happened to have a canoe. Dogs are in the canoe too.

Sis is mopping and cleaning up. Refrigerator is toast, food spoiled. She has talked to the contractor, going to cut Sheetrock 4 feet up and use dehumidifiers to dry out studs. He will be there Monday. Her son is coming tomorrow. She and dogs are glad to be home.

The golf cart in the ditch belongs to her next door neighbor. He drove it into the flood waters, it swept the cart into the ditch. The water rose over the roof of the golf cart.

Water has receded and the road is now dry. This picture was at noon.

Attachment.jpeg

Marie2020

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
I got this picture from my sister’s friend. Sis is home, that’s her with back to the camera, with neighbor’s teenage daughter. She was in Waco on a school competition. That’s her boyfriend who just happened to have a canoe. Dogs are in the canoe too.

Sis is mopping and cleaning up. Refrigerator is toast, food spoiled. She has talked to the contractor, going to cut Sheetrock 4 feet up and use dehumidifiers to dry out studs. He will be there Monday. Her son is coming tomorrow. She and dogs are glad to be home.

The golf cart in the ditch belongs to her next door neighbor. He drove it into the flood waters, it swept the cart into the ditch. The water rose over the roof of the golf cart.

Water has receded and the road is now dry. This picture was at noon.

View attachment 63550
What a nightmare. Can anything be done to help keep this water away from their homes?

It's such a pity for the people that don't have the support such as the elderly. :(

baymule

Garden Master
Reaction score
Don’t have pity on my sister. She chooses to live there, has done this before and knows the ropes. I told her one of these days she’s going to be too old and feeble to do this. She said she thought about that and she had a neighbor Lady, 92 years old, who just moved upstairs in the aftermath of a flood and hired a cleaning crew to come clean it all up. OKAAAAY SIS! So she has it worked out.

It’s a beautiful place, huge home on 3 acres, plus 11 acres they bought that fronts the highway. Her covered deck has more square feet than my double wide manufactured home. House with 3 acres would easily sell for 650,000. She’s not going anywhere.

Normally it’s the hurricanes and or tropical storms she deals with. All her important papers and such are upstairs. She has her hurricane supplies upstairs. But this time it was a rain storm that just wouldn’t stop.

I think she’s nuts for putting up with that, but I’ll stand up for her and fight anybody for her right to stay there.

She thinks I’m nuts for living down a dead end dirt road in the middle of nowhere, that floods. But my house don’t flood.

We’re a couple of stubborn old ladies, tougher than rawhide and don’t get in our way, we’ll run smack over you. :lol:

SPedigrees

Garden Addicted
Reaction score
for the price of all that work being done several times she might be able to have the house raised a few extra feet to get the floors out of the flood zone.
This is the dilemma faced by the thousands of home owners and business owners affected by flooding in my state this past summer. There is talk of a state buyout of buildings in the flood zone in river valleys and returning that land to uninhabited wetlands. But picking up dwellings and rebuilding whole towns on higher ground is not easily done. A lot of people are trying to install walls, raise foundations, etc to mitigate expected future flood damage to their homes as they rebuild, but no one knows how long these modifications will hold.

Latest posts