Bear Accident

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Black bear killed and ate hiker in NJ a couple years ago. Sad thing was he was with group of 5 guys if they all stayed together when bear charged he might still be alive.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
Several years ago I was unpacking my camping gear from the back of my truck in the Adirondacks. A man nearby shouted: "there is a bear coming at you." Sure enough, it was coming directly at me but not making a sound. I literally dove into the back of the truck and slammed the flipper door. The bear stood on its hind legs pawing at the glass looking frustrated. Since then, I never go into the woods without my friend Sam Colt.

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score
We used to backpack a lot in Yosemite. I don't know if it's changed, but back then the first most popular stopping places on one of the trails out of the valley was riddled with black bears. No attacks that I ever heard of, but they would steal packs from people who took them off to wade in a stream or just rest. I remember one time a bear grabbed a guys backpack and scampered up a tree with it. He was whacking it with a stick to try to make it let go.
:eek:

We hung all our food in a stuff sack from a high limb but didn't get it far enough away from the trunk. That night we're laying there under the stars and we hear this rhythmic sound of a bears claws climbing the tree, then a pause, a twang! shwooosh! thud! as our food bag hit the ground. Then a reversal of bear claws on tree trunk, and a ripping. It was pitch dark and nobody wanted to shine a light on him. So we lay there praying he'd go away. That was a long night. In the morning we found the remains of our food. He pitched the honey, ate the boiled eggs and avocado, and sampled a few other things. I stitched the stuff sack with dental floss and we continued our trip. I still have that stuff sack.

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
One year my brand new screen enclosure for the picnic table was destroyed by a bear on the first night I used it camping at Lewey Lake in the Adriondacks. I reported it to the Forest Ranger and he said: "we'll make an investigation." That afternoon an EnCon truck pulled into where I was camping. A guy got out and inspected the damaged enclosure and said something like: you are probably right, it looks like a bear alright. Case closed. :confused:

That is the same place the bear chased me into the back of the truck.

Last edited:

Nyboy

Garden Master
Reaction score
Pepper spray is very cheap on ebay. I bought a few for my sister when she started seeing coyotes at night time dog walks. Her and hubby just got back from month long camping trip of up state NY

jackb

Garden Master
Reaction score
I
Pepper spray is very cheap on ebay. I bought a few for my sister when she started seeing coyotes at night time dog walks. Her and hubby just got back from month long camping trip of up state NY
I have two canisters on hand at all times when in the woods, and sometimes when I am not in the woods..

Latest posts