Bear Accident

Carol Dee

Garden Master
Reaction score
DH and Sons have taken the boundary water trips in Northern MN, before you enter you are schooled in what to do to avoid attracting bears to your camp and if one comes around how to scare it off. They say to be LOUD, wave and throw fist sized rocks! Always stay together. Hang bags out of reach from bears. I imagine it helps , but a smart or determined bear is going to get that food bag anyway. The only bear they saw was one swimming across the lake. And a group leaving early and HUNGRY as the bear had taken all the food. Happily no bear sightings on the trip I went with them. The MOOSE where plenty scary!

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
My one bear hunting experience involved apple trees and no bear ...

A friend was a very good bird hunter and would take his single shot .410 most every day after work and get his 4 grouse. He found some apple trees in the mountains with fresh bear dung. He thought that it might work for him to get that bear. I went along riding shotgun. In fact, I didn't have a license.

I hung back a ways and he went carefully up this little draw. After he had travelled past those trees, he must have felt that the bear wasn't to be found and he started back.

A doe came out of the brush between us! He must have passed within about 50' from her on the way up and he and I were probably less than that distance when she appeared.

I figure that she was taking a nap. The expression on her face was absolute panic! I don't think that she knew exactly where we were. She started straight towards him!

Stiff legged, her mouth gaping - she stopped just about a rifle length from where he was standing. And, that was what he was doing. He held his rifle out and straight at her nose, just a few feet away. Then, she saw him! And, bolted uphill.

All this happened in a matter of seconds. I think we both identified the creature as a deer pretty quickly. It wasn't deer season. But, the startling nature of this experience practically unnerved us! Fortunately, we were anticipating something in the bushes but sorta expected to deal with it in a manner a little more definitively than poking at it ..!

Steve

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
I can't imagine stopping long enough to take its picture. :eek: It's a beautiful animal, anyway.

But this article makes me sad, when I think of how many miles I hiked on our local section of the AT when I was in college, just me and my dog and not a care in the world. Never once then did it cross my mind that I could have been attacked by a bear, or a two legged predator either. :confused: Sad way to die for that young person.

I still often hike alone (because everyone else is either too lazy or too complainy to go with me). There have been a rare few bear sightings in my area over the years. I hate to think there is anything else out there to be afraid of, especially in my favorite place to be, most enjoyable quiet and alone. Would a .45 even stop one or just make him madder?
DH, American Historian, studied the journals from the Lewis and Clark expedition. All of the party grew up in the East and would hunt black bears for food and the pelts and had never encountered a grizzly before. They are far more aggressive (understatement), but a mother black bear with cubs is just as aggressive. The party started to shoot at the HERDS of grizzly's which were turning and attacking. They soon forbade the party to shoot them bc it was just too dangerous. I watched a program about grizzly's and they said it takes multiples slugs from a 384 magnum to drop a grizzly. Some Alaskan grizzly's stand up to 14 foot tall and can outrun a horse and WILL chase you. Also, people have been mauled by black bears who can climb a tree and will climb one faster than You can. I have no desire to get close to any of them.
Still, in Black Bear territory I would be more afraid of a mountain lion...or an adult moose. Gotta respect nature.

digitS'

Garden Master
Reaction score
I drove through Post Falls, Idaho early one morning several decades ago.

There was a black bear in the tree in front of what is now the US Bank ...

Arriving at work, I called the local Cd'A Press. The story never made it in that paper but was in the nearby Spokane paper and featured on a teevee news broadcast. So much for my ability to affect local news coverage ... Maybe if I'd claimed that the bear was planning to ambush a banker ...

;) Steve

thistlebloom

Garden Master
Reaction score

Latest posts