valley ranch

Garden Master
Reaction score
Sierra Nevada mountains, and Nevada high desert
Montana Grizzly Bear Notice:

In light of the rising frequency of human/grizzly bear
conflicts, the Montana Department of Fish and Game
is advising hikers, hunters, and fishermen to take extra
precautions and keep alert for bears while in the field.
We advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on
their clothing so as not to startle the bears that aren't
expecting them. We also advise outdoorsmen to carry
pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a
bear.

It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear
activity. Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference
between black bear and grizzly bear poop. Black bear poop
is smaller and contains a lot of berry seeds and squirrel fur.
Grizzly bear poop has little bells in it and smells like pepper
spray.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
The last bear encounter I had was last summer right here at the house. Oldest daughter was staying with us she was out on the back patio around 10:00 at night enjoying the evening sounds when she heard something in the pear tree. She walked closer to see if it was a raccoon and it ran to a huge fir tree about 20' out of our yard. She came and told me a raccoon jumped out of the pear tree and climbed a tree just out of yard. I grabbed high power flashlight and went out to edge of yard shined light at big tree and there was a black bear clinging onto it about 10' off ground oh man DD needs glasses lol. We backed off and shut light off and bear left tree and ran uphill from us making one heck of a racket. Next day picked all the pears off tree and no more bear. Got our neighbors pear tree up the hill and wrecked it to the ground tree was a loss thankfully ours was spared. Also most everyone around here have apple trees the Bears don't bother them but they all have problems with pear trees and bears.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Interesting about pears and apples. I would assume if they ate one they would eat the other.
I'm sure they do, maybe it because there are tons of wild apple trees around here so no sense it taking risk to get them in someone's yard. I do know they love the pear trees maybe it the scent of the ripening fruit that they cannot resist.

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Montana Grizzly Bear Notice:

In light of the rising frequency of human/grizzly bear
conflicts, the Montana Department of Fish and Game
is advising hikers, hunters, and fishermen to take extra
precautions and keep alert for bears while in the field.
We advise that outdoorsmen wear noisy little bells on
their clothing so as not to startle the bears that aren't
expecting them. We also advise outdoorsmen to carry
pepper spray with them in case of an encounter with a
bear.

It is also a good idea to watch out for fresh signs of bear
activity. Outdoorsmen should recognize the difference
between black bear and grizzly bear poop. Black bear poop
is smaller and contains a lot of berry seeds and squirrel fur.
Grizzly bear poop has little bells in it and smells like pepper
spray.
:yuckyuck:yuckyuck:yuckyuck

ducks4you

Garden Master
Reaction score
East Central IL, Was Zone 6, Now...maybe Zone 5
Interesting about pears and apples. I would assume if they ate one they would eat the other.
Gotta watch assuming anything. JUST BC my horses will nibble on burdock leaves doesn't mean the would HELP me to eradicate them in the pasture!!! :rant Probably same with bears, they will eat apples if starving but the pears are sweeter.

Collector

Garden Master
Reaction score
Funny about bear sightings and encounters for me at has been a surprise almost every time . it just a flash crossing road up ahead or round a corner on an old logging road and there it is then gone in a instant. Only a few have I spotted on like opposite mountain side when It did not know I was there. I have opportunities to hunt them but only went once pretty easy when you are setting over a bait. Even that was a surprise one minute nothing look back a minute later and there it is. Never shot it and if you ever tasted it you know why lol. It's not bad if cooked by someone with experience that is not me lol. Steve happy your brush with one ended with everyone safe and sound.

journey11

Garden Master
Reaction score

I can't imagine stopping long enough to take its picture. :eek: It's a beautiful animal, anyway.

But this article makes me sad, when I think of how many miles I hiked on our local section of the AT when I was in college, just me and my dog and not a care in the world. Never once then did it cross my mind that I could have been attacked by a bear, or a two legged predator either. :confused: Sad way to die for that young person.

I still often hike alone (because everyone else is either too lazy or too complainy to go with me). There have been a rare few bear sightings in my area over the years. I hate to think there is anything else out there to be afraid of, especially in my favorite place to be, most enjoyable quiet and alone. Would a .45 even stop one or just make him madder?

Latest posts