Becoming A Pyomaniac

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Dam tent Caterpillar nests, when is season over? Yesterday I bought a propane can of gas and a torch for it. Went around the yard burning nests. I really enjoyed watching nest burn. I can see a lot of damage on tree where nest have been. Next going to try on weeds between patio pavers.
What?? It's ok to get rid of the nest and all... but what happened to the trees? It's like your burning them. I think you over did that.

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
Dam tent Caterpillar nests, when is season over? Yesterday I bought a propane can of gas and a torch for it. Went around the yard burning nests. I really enjoyed watching nest burn. I can see a lot of damage on tree where nest have been. Next going to try on weeds between patio pavers.
you're still doing it. i really dont know if its safe to do so. but if you insist on doing so.. go ahead.

Beekissed

Garden Master
Reaction score
you're still doing it. i really dont know if its safe to do so. but if you insist on doing so.. go ahead.

@YourRabbitGirl , Alex(NYboy) died last year, so this thread is a nonissue. Although I think he would love it that someone is trouncing him on this long after he has departed....I think it would tickle his funny bone to know that folks are still having a conversation with him. 😄

YourRabbitGirl

Garden Ornament
Reaction score
If you can reach them with a propane torch you can reach them with a pesticide sprayer. Get some BT for caterpillars and spray them. The water droplets will go through the silk and get to the target. In a couple of days they are all dead and you have not further damaged your trees by burning them.

I'm not sure if you are seeing tent caterpillars or webworms. I suspect webworms. Tent caterpillars are springtime critters and can damage trees. Webworms are more in the fall and are generally eating leaves that have done their job. Those leaves aren't that far away from falling off the tree anyway. Still, they can be unsightly. If you spray them the webs remain. I can see why you want to get rid of the webs, they can be ugly. Just try to not overdo it and burn your trees enough to kill those limbs.

When you burn the weeds between the pavers you may not kill the roots. Depends on the weed. You will get a lot of black charcoal-like stuff that can get on your shoes and get tracked inside your house or car. That's why I stopped burning the weeds in my gravel parking area in Arkansas and switched to a well-known herbicide to get rid of that growth.
I tried to burn dried leaves that I gathered while cleaning our backyard. I started the fire and it seems like I like it. will burn more next week.

catjac1975

Garden Master
Reaction score
How did that work out?

flowerbug

Garden Master
Reaction score
I tried to burn dried leaves that I gathered while cleaning our backyard. I started the fire and it seems like I like it. will burn more next week.

the less burning you do the better the gardens will be if you can bury the leaves instead. some burning is ok, but a lot of burning will mean a lot of your nutrients and energy that went into those leaves will be going up into the air instead of into the ground.

Latest posts